9 speed XT crankset conversion to 2x10?

Cannon71
Cannon71 Posts: 92
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I've got a 3x9sp XT setup throughout on my Ghost AMR 7500 and recently the rear mech got screwed, so I bought an XT clutch mech as a replacement. I knew that the clutch mech was 10sp but hoped to simply limit the shift range with the limiter screws, but the pull ratios are different so now I need a 10sp shifter/cassette/chain ('cos I love the clutch mech & would rather keep that than switch back to 3x9.)

Not a problem, but my question is about the chainrings: 3x10 is too much (currently, 22/32 gets me up everything I need to and 44/11 is useful for getting to & from the hills but I rarely need that big a gear) so I'm entertaining a 2x10 (26/38 +bash?) but am concerned that my 3sp front mech won't work with the bigger inner/middle rings due to the 'ramp-angle' of the mech. (Note: my Ghost has a direct-fit (e-drive?) front mech, so no adjustability.)

So, is this an option? Or do I need a new front mech & 2x10 crank too? And what length of cage would I need for 26/38?

Cheers guys.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can keep your existing crankset, you will almost certainly need a double specific front mech, I tried 22/36 with a triple and it worked, but not well, stuck a Deore double on and it was great (extra benefit was that the Deore double was lighter than the XT triple I had - go figure!).

The Shimano techdocs on their website (google Shimano techdocs - it's that easy) will give you the capacity of the mechs, just look it up!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • So the tech docs say my FD-M770e can handle a 22T difference, so a 26/38 should be fine, but them I'm not sure I'm following your point...

I'd like to keep the triple as then I have the option of 3 rings or 2+bash.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    26/38 will be fine on your cranks and your mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Oh, that's clear! Thanks.

How do I get beer to you? ;-)