On One Scandal + rigid forks (29er)

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Having had a few weeks of this MTBing lark, I've decided that my next bike needs to be lighter, and I want 29" wheels because I've tried a 29er and it seemed to roll much faster than my 26er (not a scientific conclusion). Also I don't use much of my suspension travel (unless I'm screwing up) so rigid forks may be the way to go. Has anyone tried On One's Scandal with their rigid carbon forks? Good idea/bad idea/could do better? Would you get one for XC riding?
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    I have that of what you speak........ a scandal 29er v2 ............... with there full carbon forks......... beautifully light and nimble.... highly reccomended.....
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    29ers do roll faster, however I don't like the cumbersome feel (and that was comparing a Trek Superfly elite carbon to my Carrera).....be sure you understand the tradeoff.

My local rides are fairly flat and smooth and a number of people have built up rigid 29ers and get on very well with them, they take the suspended ones to trail centres though....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I'v got a 29er scandal with reba's on the front. I'v run a few decents with the fork locked out (yes still a little travel) and it coped well. If your idea of XC riding is not to rough then I'd expect the Scandal and carbon fork to work well. I was going to fit a carbon fork but at the last minute bottled out because I’d rather have the travel and not need it than the other way round.

As for the bike it's self I also wanted a quick bike and am very happy with the scandal. The donor bike was a carbon 456 and to be honest for me I find the scandal almost as competent but quicker. There is very little I won't ride on it and will happily keep up with my mate on his Orange Alpine 160 descending.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    kenan wrote:
    There is very little I won't ride on it and will happily keep up with my mate on his Orange Alpine 160 descending.

Unless you are descending on tarmac your mate must be rubbish.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think you should as long as it's SS.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    kenan wrote:
    If your idea of XC riding is not to rough then I'd expect the Scandal and carbon fork to work well. I was going to fit a carbon fork but at the last minute bottled out because I’d rather have the travel and not need it than the other way round.

It is - I tend to climb hills and explore rather than hurtle down them, so I'm looking for light weight and easy rolling. I don't do many jumps or drop offs either.
    cooldad wrote:
    I think you should as long as it's SS.
    Oh dear me no. I like to make the hill climbing easy.

All good advice so far!
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Giraffoto
    So here's what I'm thinking for a lightweight 29" XC bike (having had a bit of time to think):
    Frame and forks - Aluminium and rigid carbon fibre, probably the On-One Scandal and rigid fork
    Wheels - Lightweight 29" set, something like Superstar Tesla and BOR rims
    Gearing - 2x10 with ~38/26 at the front and 12-32 at the back
    Gears - something in the SLX - X9 range
    Brakes - Shimano, probably Deore. 180mm F/160mm R
    Saddle/bars/stem - yes, definitely

How does all that sound?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Good - let me know if it works out less than 1650 cos if not then I'd just buy this - http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3020

Having a similar dilemma at the moment...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Giraffoto
    Should be much less - I'd estimated less than £1000
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Giraffoto
    Well, I've just taken delivery of the frame, and would like to hear from anyone who's got rigid carbon forks: which do you think are best? My priorities are (in no particular order), cost, light weight, strength, IS brake mounts preferred, a tapered steerer would be nice. At the moment I'm looking at . . .

On-One rigid Carbon/Aluminum forks

On-One All-carbon forks (currently looking like the favourite)

Exotic Carbon/Aluminium forks

Has anyone tried any of these? Can anyone suggest any others?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12902387

My forks are blade copies from China, via somebody else on this forum, very light seem to work very well so far...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Giraffoto
    pilch wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12902387

My forks are blade copies from China, via somebody else on this forum, very light seem to work very well so far...

Interesting choice, I also like the red headset - what are they and where can they be got?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Giraffoto wrote:
    pilch wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12902387

Interesting choice, I also like the red headset - what are they and where can they be got?

Most of the red bits are off SSSSSSuperstar
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer