09 Carrera Vulcan

chrismarkham1982
chrismarkham1982 Posts: 57
edited February 2013 in Your mountain bikes
2008/2009 Carrera Vulcan 16" frame, bought off ebay with standard spec except from Syncros big box rims with M525 hubs, Deore XT M761 rear mech and Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Wedge forks.

Spent a bit in the past few days and have now upgraded a few bits and spec is now as follows.

Deore M590 chainset
Shimano HG 50 cassette
Shimano HG53 Chain
Deore M590 RH Shifter
Deore XT M761 Rear Mech
SRAM X4 front shifter and mech
Deore LX M585 front hydraulic brake
Shimano RT62 180mm centre lock rotor
Ritchey XC Pro 120mm stem
FSA XC-270 riser bar
Ritchey Truegrip pro Grips
WTB Graffiti SF 26x2.2 tyres
Shimano MT15 wheelset
Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Wedge

I've kept the seat post, headset, Marzocchi forks and Deore XT mech as they are all still in excellent working order, I am considering selling the forks though as I want a set that are geared more towards XCing with lockout for commuting.
Only bits left to replace are the SRAM X4 front mech and shifter combo and a new rear brake which will most likely be a matching Deore LX M585 with a 160mm rotor, with the front gearing replaced with Deore M590 shifter and Deore M591 mech.

p1030887custom.jpg

p1030895custom.jpg
Carrera Vulcan

..........................Meh.........................

Comments

• Looks tidy! Are those bars bent or are they supposed to curve downwards like that?
  • Ha! you got me looking now lol, I think its just the way I took the photo, they look staight, mind I have had a few lol
    Carrera Vulcan

• nice
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you rotate riser/backswept bars too far back the tips will point down....I think those are flat though.....

Just add some mud!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • They certainly look straight to me...I think :lol:
    Well the 'Zocchis will be gone in a few days and when they sell I will be looking at a set RS Tora's 2nd hand.
    Carrera Vulcan

• The Rookie
    Try and get Recon's if you can, not sure the Tora's will be a step forward....alternatively I have some 105mm twin air Bombers with ally stanchions.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I no what you mean, I just dont have it in my budget so Im looking for something more XC orientated and lighter, ive had a look at some recons only problem is im not sure my budget will extend beyond 80 quid :(
    How much were you wanting for the Bombers?
    Carrera Vulcan

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    If you can find solo air tora 318s, or the tora race(which has alu stanchions iirc) it should be an improvement?
    I got an almost pristine set off ebay for about £90 last year.
  • Thats what ive been looking at mainly, tbh honest though as thebeginner said, my bombers are heavy and they make going a bit difficult so anything lighter and more xc orientated (as long as they are'nt crap lol) will feel like an improvement even if they generally arent as good.
    Carrera Vulcan

• The Rookie
    The 2 pairs of 2006 Manitous in the family are still in good working order, £55-60 delieverd off ebay, my daughter has Recon XC's £72 off ebay delivered......bargains are out there.
  • At the moment I'm looking at a set of zocchi MX comps 07 and exr pro and rock shox tora 302 and recons.
    Noticed a set of zocchi 22r's but know naf all about them.
    Carrera Vulcan

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    If you go for a tora, you definately want the 318 model. It has motion control damping like their higher end forks(although not with the dual flow rebound). They do a coil u-turn one which is travel adjustable, but probably wont be much lighter than what you already have(2.4kg), and a solo air model which is around 200g lighter for the steel steerer and 400g lighter for the alu steerer iirc. They are heavier than the equivalent Recons, but you need to get the top recons to get the motion control damper, which will likely be out of your budget. I would rather have a few extra grams and the MoCo damper than a light fork with the TurnKey one.
  • I've spotted a few 318's which I'm now looking, I've also decided against the 22r as most reviews are comparing it to the dart so that's a no go.
    Carrera Vulcan

• Couple of updates, my zocchi's developed a few problems which meant I didnt get a lot for them.
    Because of this i ended having to plumb for a set of Dart 3 forks, admitedly they are in almost new condition and the ride has certainly improved...more than I thought possible! also shaved 200g off the weight, the headset has been replaced and Ive swapped the tyres from the WTB Graffitti's back to the tioga yellow kirins I had in the shed and that saved nearly 1.5kg.
    She's now feeling a lot lighter and faster and also a lot nicer to ride.

The front mech will soon be replaced as-well having bought a new Shimano SLX M660 to replace it leaving just the front shifter and rear brake left to get.
    Carrera Vulcan