Bike setup

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,099
edited February 2013 in MTB beginners
What's the deal with setting up a MTB - I know how to set up my road bike (109% rule, etc) - is it the same for the dirty bike or is that a whole new bag of worms?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    set up whats that?

air in tyres check.
    sag correct check.

saddle height. well it depends in where you are riding. lower for the bumpy bits. and normal "road" height for climbing and flat stuff.

basically as you are not in the same position for hours on end set up in the road term is none existant.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wtf is the 109% rule. Sounds very gay, but I suppose what else should we expect.
  • Wtf is the 109% rule. Sounds very gay, but I suppose what else should we expect.

take your inside leg measurement and multiply it by 109% to get a rough idea of saddle to pedal height.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Wtf is the 109% rule. Sounds very gay, but I suppose what else should we expect.

take your inside leg measurement and multiply it by 109% to get a rough idea of saddle to pedal height.
    mad. just raise it untill your hips start rocking and then drop it a smidge to stop the rocking.

but as most people have problems getting of the back of the saddle they run it lower.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't have anyone who loves me enough to measure my inside leg.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Wtf is the 109% rule. Sounds very gay, but I suppose what else should we expect.

mad. just raise it untill your hips start rocking and then drop it a smidge to stop the rocking.

but as most people have problems getting of the back of the saddle they run it lower.

Didnt say it was any good :wink:

I used competitive cyclist for setting up the road bike since it stays the same but when it comes to the mtb i just get the crank arm in line with the seatpost, then with my heel on pedal and leg straight i raise the saddle to roughly hip height to get somewhere near.

Probably a bit more messing than some really but have yet to find the spare $$$ for a dropper post.
  • I did the old one leg straight thing, been ok for 6 months!
    Went llandegla at weekend going up hill and a nice chap said u need ur seat 2" higher.
    Did this and my uphill climb was so much easier :)
    Just trial and error I'd say.
    Still have to drop down seat for the downhill stuff tho!