Timbuk 2 D-Lux messenger bag

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited September 2015 in Commuting chat
I have seen the below for £75, and was wondering if its a good deal. I am waying it up versus a Northface bag. Anyone got one? Thoughts?

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/p/23051/d-l ... leShopping

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Haven't got this model - but have a Timbuk 2 bag and it has done 4+ years of 5 days a week, all conditions commuting and is still going strong.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    My one is about 15 years old. Its been used for the the commute year round in that time.

It's a bit dirty, none of the stitching is even stretched as far as I can see. It's still 100% waterproof. All fastenings work as new. It seems to be pretty much bullet proof.

I'd definitely recommend the Timbuk 2.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    It's a posher version of the one I have which is fantastic. I've had it for a couple of years and it still looks brand new. I want to get a bigger one but can't afford it :(
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Haven't tried this one, but my Northface has done pretty well over about 3 years. Don't like this year's model as much though. Prefer a bag to be just that - a bag - and not already full with compartments and separators.

How do you get it for £75?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I don't think I own a single thing that looks as good as it did on the day i got it as my Timbuk2 bag...I use it everyday
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Sewinman
    I got one - priced matched at Evans. Thanks all.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/timbuk2-d-lux-l ... 4l-medium/
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Timbuk2 bags are astonishing. I've had two since 1996.

I can use it as a bag, a toboggan and, in an emergency, a coracle. Its useful for storing water in the desert and, since it fits over my head, it protects me from triffids. I can't fault it.

The only reason I have had more than one bag is because my cat used my first one as a toilet.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Timbuk2 bags are astonishing. I've had two since 1996.

I can use it as a bag, a toboggan and, in an emergency, a coracle. Its useful for storing water in the desert and, since it fits over my head, it protects me from triffids. I can't fault it.

The only reason I have had more than one bag is because my cat used my first one as a toilet.

Very impressive, but the Kraken will sort it out...
  • Sewinman
    Nicely built bag and all that but unfortunately its taken me all of 3 uses to lose the cross strap fastener to the shoulder strap. Its removable which means its attached by velcro, somehow between the shop and home I have managed to accidently use said feature and remove it, and lost it. So the cross strap is out of action as it has nothing to fasten to.

Partly my fault, but I think a velcro fastening for such a regularly used feature is a bit of a design flaw. It certainly did not take me long to lose. Now the joy of a long wait for a replacement from the US.

:|
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Unlucky, they must have changed the design. Mine is sewn together so it can't be removed.

I can't really understand why they would make it removable to be honest.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Crumpler also do similar indestructable messenger bags. I love mine and no small animals have ever used it as a toilet.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Sewinman
    I emailed them and they are sending me a new one. V good customer service.
  • A 12v battery, a set of jump leads and I'm breathing new life into this thread.

Another +1 for the Timbuk2.

I've had mine for about 20 years now, and it is as good now as the day I got it.
    Just a bit dirtier.

The fasteners have been replaced in some places, but this was due to me breaking them in my locker door, or by treading on them, not the fault of the bag.

There are a few places where the truck tarpaulin used to make the bag has cracked, but this is on the edge of the flap and does not compromise waterproofing.

Customer service is excellent.
    I ordered new bits from them and they forgot to add a shoulder strap.
    Having not charged me for it I rang up to reorder it, where upon the girl said she was very sorry for missing it off and that it would be sent out free of charge.
    Not what I was expecting!

I can honestly say that this is the longest I have had a possession that is used almost everyday and is still going strong.