SLX Triple to a double?

lm_trek
lm_trek Posts: 1,470
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Seeing as at the moment i can't seem to sell my orange i thought maybe i would take it on a diet and and try to sell again later.

Firstly removing the outer chainring, do i need a specific tool the bolts aren't quite an allen key or any other tool i currently have, also was thinking of fitting a slx bash like the double comes with, but reading online others have had issues fitting this anyone done this successfully?? or is it easier to get my LBS to do this for me?

Other thing is lightening the load as it where, any suggestions on where to lighten the bike without blowing a small fortune, i know its a steel frame so its never going to be a lightweight monster but would be nice to be more nimble up hill.

Spec in link:

viewtopic.php?f=40089&t=12902675

If anyone wants to buy the bike before i start to change it would also be nice!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Torx tools needed and the correct length chainring bolts for new bash. then set the upper stop screw to stop over shifts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get an alloy bash ring and you can usually use the existing bolts, plus most are lighter than the lardy Shimano ones!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lm_trek
    Im guessing that seeing as the crank is a 44-32-22 i would need a 32 bash?
  • It needs to be able to stop bashes on a 32t, yes. I'd question why you're doing it though.
  • lm_trek
    I never use the outer ring, and my other bike is a 2x10 as well, tbh if i can't sell the bike going to go back to using it during the winter months, at the moment its all shiny and clean ready to sell but as ive found out its the wrong time of year to shift the bike so going to tweak it for the winter, keeping my other bike for the supposed summer we might have.