Richard III on C4

typekitty
typekitty Posts: 188
edited February 2013 in The bottom bracket
Excellent discovery but this woman is a bit bonkers. "A tempest came" "It ran through the letter R so I KNEW". Sheesh. Stop ruining something so interesting.

/rant

Comments

• I thought that "tempest" ??? Knocking a hole in the scull was a bit stupid.
  • CrunchyToes
    CrunchyToes Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • This tweet sums it up well:

"Archaeology, which is a wonderful science, is being devalued by airy fairy people emoting all over the place in this Richard III programme."

Glad I'm not the only one.
  • CrunchyToes
    edited February 2016
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Is the title an euphemism? Richard III being rhyming slang. If so,I heartily agree.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    To be fair to the lady in question, she'd invested a lot of time and emotion into this. She was a little OTT, but hey, who wouldn't be in such circumstances?

A colleague said he thought the presenter devalued it, but I thought it did bring some lighthearted balance.

Where was Baldrick?

Anyhow, I concentrated on the facts etc and not the people involved.

All said and done, to get the right skeleton in the right place first time was incredible. It also seems that our long held view of R3 may need some revision. And to see face so similar to the portrait was pretty amazing (though you have to wonder if it would have been different if they'd not told the reconstructor who it was?)

I found it fascinating and felt compelled to watch history being made. It is likely this will NEVER be repeated (the situation NOT the programme!)
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Philippa Langley may have appeared to come across as a bit potty at times but I do admire a person with passion and determination, which she had in bucket fulls. Perhaps "Time Team" could do with her so that they may actually find something interesting during thier digs! Another thing, just imagine being a living descendant of Richard III. The man featured (descendant of Richard's sister) was a Canadian (I think) cabinet maker with a North London workshop. Technically he was kind of a Royal but fate denied him that hand.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Reminds me of that time Jimmy Hill shaved his beard off-shudders.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Kept thinking about the time team digging holes all over the place when they hit jackpot with first dig. It did help that it was marked by a R though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,474
    Garry H wrote:
    Is the title an euphemism? Richard III being rhyming slang. If so,I heartily agree.

Yeah, I thought the thread was going to be about Piers Morgan moving channels!
  • I remember the time I laid a Richard the Third in a carpark. Didn't have the same media impact though.
  • CrunchyToes
    edited February 2016
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Didn't want to watch it until I had seen parts I and II first
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Don't want to spoil things but 1) Wasn't it a tudor myth re his deformity?
    2) DNA the same as his was present in thousands of people even in his time as he didnt start his mycrocondial (sp) DNA
    3) No scientific questioning seemed to be done.

As you may guess I'm not convinced.
  • Deegs
    Deegs Posts: 74
    1. Nobody knew how much of his deformities were myth.
    2. No offence mate but if a mitochondrial dna analysis is done by the correct lab coffins, which it was, I'd sooner believe them. The chances of it not being him appeared very tiny.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Spender wrote:
    Kept thinking about the time team digging holes all over the place when they hit jackpot with first dig. It did help that it was marked by a R though.

Quite a coincidence in a carpark that has Reserved spaces.

What amazes me is that there's a worldwide Richard iii society with it's own website, as it seems a very "niche" subject to get into. I wonder out of every single person in history, why him?

It was a good documentary. I never knew much about him before watching it.

I think the best quote in the documentary was "Doesn't look like a face of a tyrant". Can you be a tyrant only if you look a certain way?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby