stairway to the hills?

Rulebritania
Rulebritania Posts: 209
edited February 2013 in Training, fitness and health
Hello,
I live in a 19 floor block of flats which has internal stairs, will climbing these a form of fitness aid me in hill climbs?
My thought is to climb the stairs then return so far and repeat. Seeing as the weather is awful.
Don't call me sir I work for a living

Comments

• t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    edited January 2013
    Hello,
    I live in a 19 floor block of flats which has internal stairs, will climbing these a form of fitness aid me in hill climbs?
    My thought is to climb the stairs then return so far and repeat. Seeing as the weather is awful.

You will need strong wheels with AT LEAST 36 spokes . Descending will be fun :twisted:
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I'd also be wary about knocking people over. Are you allowed to cycle up and down?
  • I wonder if you could get some star shaped wheels made up such that when riding up these stairs your axles would move in a straight line? Would make it much more comfortable
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Well it will help your general fitness and that can't be a bad thing.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • :D I walked straight into that one! :roll:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Chuck your bike on your shoulder then jog up the stairs. Splendid training for cyclocross. For added realism you could lay face down in a muddy puddle first.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I know fell runners who feel cycling has certainly helped their hill running - so would what is in effect hill running aid cycling ? I think yes probably - maybe not as much as getting on a bike and climbing hills - but if you are doing it as well as your normal cycling yes.

I suppose the difference between a fell runner using cycling and a cyclist running up hills is the runner is probably limited in the amount of hill running they can do because of muscle damage - so cycling can be an addition to their training load that just running wouldn't allow. The reverse doesn't hold.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I know fell runners who feel cycling has certainly helped their hill running - so would what is in effect hill running aid cycling ? I think yes probably - maybe not as much as getting on a bike and climbing hills - but if you are doing it as well as your normal cycling yes.
    It might, and would certainly give your cardiovascular system a good workout. MTB racing legend* John Stamstad used to run up flights of stairs as training for the Iditasport race in Alaska and descend in the building's lift.

* and I don't use that term loosely!
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    It took me 289 watts to have a steady climb of the stairs last night (75kg x 2.75 metres x 9.81m/s/s)/7 seconds = 289

This is 90% of my FTP so decent sweet spot training if repeated for about an hour.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • ShutUpLegs
    Have you tried it with 20kg of weights in a rucksack?
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

I guess for str ength training putting heavy weights in is good
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

You guess wrong
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

You guess wrong

And why say it without an explanation?
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Is the weather in Basingstoke really that bad?
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    Is the weather in Basingstoke really that bad?

Has been as usual very windy, mixed with other crappy elements. lately
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Yes its been windy but there hasnt been a day in the last week where I thought I couldnt ride? 50 miles just completed now. :s
  • ShutUpLegs
    AK_jnr wrote:
    Yes its been windy but there hasnt been a day in the last week where I thought I couldnt ride? 50 miles just completed now. :s

How fast :?:
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Is that a serious question? 51.1 in 2:40
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Getting from ground floor to 1st floor in a house in various times & various bodyweights
    843981_479335258793050_734621731_o.jpg

Climbing stairs at 0.39m/s (vertical speed) for various bodyweights
    823475_479335262126383_1773150644_o.jpg
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!