Sram X7 Front Mech

Jawa
Jawa Posts: 81
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, was wondering if anyone can give me some advice regarding my front mech. Basically it was playing up, not allowing me to shift to the big ring and rubbing on the other two. I also had problems with the rear mech not being able to select certain gears . I thought this was down to my chain/cassette being worn and rusty. Or my cables being worn.
Anyway, I've just replaced all me gear cables, and also put a new chain and cassette on. All was going great until I went to set up the front mech. Try as I might I can't get it to shift to the big ring. Even with the cable free, if I try with my hands I can just barely push out far enough, but even then it's very stiff. The high adjuster seems to do absolutely nothing, and at the moment it's about 3 or 4 mm short off where it needs to be on the big ring.

Does it sound like it's had it? And if so can you recommend a new front mech for me between £20 - £40? I'd rather go Shimano to be honest, although I'm not sure if I'll need a new shifter, currently got Sram X7 shifters. My rear mech is a Sram X9 which I think/hope is ok, I'm guessing it won't make any difference if I have a Sram rear and Shimano front mech?

Any help much appreciated,
thanks
Rich

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what ring sizes have you change from and to?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jawa
    Jawa Posts: 81
    nicklouse wrote:
    what ring sizes have you change from and to?

I've not changed the front rings, the cassette is the same size as the last one 11-32, it's a Shimano HG50 though rather than the SRAM one that was on there from new.

I think I may have sorted it anyway, after faffing about with it for the last hour or so. I blasted it with GT85, then took the high screw out completely, undid the cable and started again, hen put the high screw back in. To get the low right though I had to basically tighten it as much as I could which seems a bit odd. Now just trying to get the rear set up.... :?

You live and learn. :o
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The low screw loads up as it starts to push the cage out against the spring - that is probably what you mean by tighten it as much as you can (erm, it never tightens, it's a stop!), it can go in a lot further as it's capable of pushing the cag out over the middle ring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.