Bike box

thegreatdivide
thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
edited October 2013 in Road general
I’ve just ordered one of these:

http://www.thebikeboxcompany.co.uk/probox.html

It could be a good alternative to a Bike Box Alan and 'only' £309 inc delivery. I like that industrial zip and integrated lock, plus you get crush poles and bike and pedal bags. It also takes integrated seat posts too which is a bonus for me, and no need to take the rear derailleur off.

The company that you actually make the payment to is www.apmonline.co.uk – so not a ropey Chinese manufacturer trying to rip off Bike Box – more Torm trying to rip off Rapha :lol:

Will report back when it arrives...

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I've seen these, they look very good.
    Living MY dream.
  • That looks a decent box for the money.. i need to purchase a case of some sort this year and ive been looking at an evoc 280L.. which costs roughly the same but isnt a solid case and is only 1kg lighter..
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Yeah keen to know what it's like too. Keep us updated please.
  • I've been looking at the Evoc too, still think I prefer it over these boxes.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Trouble with all hardcases I've seen/used is they have a lot less space inside and are less flexible when it comes to fitting certain bike in. That one does look pretty good but no chance those wheel wells are taking MTB wheels (not 29ers anyway), it looks fairly tight on the ISP to (especially given the Trek shown is only a semi-ISP) - admittedly though my EVOC is tight on my ISP bike to. My EVOC takes helmet, shoes, pads etc. to, don't think I'd be able to squeeze as much in that (even if you're not supposed to anyway ;) ). If you're only going to use it for a road bike though and it def fits then it does look a good option to me. Although also bear in mind the last time I traveled one of our group with an Alan box had hassle coming back through Malaga as it wouldn't fit through the large item scanner - he had to wait for an Easyjet rep to come and get him and take him through some other route (he only just made the flight in the end...). Not sure if that's any bigger but it would be a concern for me if it was.
  • The only bike bag that appealed to me was the Helium – a serious metal cage, the ability to take two sets of wheels and cushioning provided via air bladders - but I didn’t like the idea of having to take off the rear derailleur. The less rebuilding and tools required at the other end the better. The Scicon is the bee’s knees, but the cost is just mental and the BBA is pretty much spot on but weighs in on the large side – and the cost is mental.

I’ve got a good feeling about this one...
  • The Evoc is excellent, and Chainreaction were doing it for 200 quid the other day. The ability to be able to stuff it with helmet, gloves, shoes, gels, etc. is a big advantage imo.
  • The Evoc is excellent, and Chainreaction were doing it for 200 quid the other day. The ability to be able to stuff it with helmet, gloves, shoes, gels, etc. is a big advantage imo.

£200?? Balls, missed that. It's £300 now, £263 on Wiggle.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Screw any case that doesn't reinforce the frame from being squashed when the bags are piled up. There's a reason I've now parted with a lot of cash for a BBA (which is ISP compatible). Buy cheap and buy twice (in this case it's your bike you get to buy a second time).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg

£200?? Balls, missed that. It's £300 now, £263 on Wiggle.

It was in a weird kind of 'private sale' email.

The Evoc has rigid bars up the sides so it cannot be squashed and the top panel is very thick.

The wheels too have rigid bars to protect them, and thick padding and this in turn helps protect the bike.
  • Grill wrote:
    Screw any case that doesn't reinforce the frame from being squashed when the bags are piled up. There's a reason I've now parted with a lot of cash for a BBA (which is ISP compatible). Buy cheap and buy twice (in this case it's your bike you get to buy a second time).

Indeed.

The rigid frame won’t protect a bike bag if it’s placed on its side in the hold and they stick half a dozen 15kg holiday cases on top of it. With these BBA, Scicon, Pro Box things they’ve got this covered with a crush pole.
  • i have a bike box alan and have never experienced any problems at the airport. I also have an ISM and its pretty tall and all fits in ok. I do thake the Rear Derailuer off but only for peace of mind and its really only an allen key and literally 1 min to put back on. That looks a good box for the money.
  • VTech
    Ive been looking for 3 weeks and have decided on the BBA, They are making it to fit the frame and seem a decent company to buy from.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    Ive been looking for 3 weeks and have decided on the BBA, They are making it to fit the frame and seem a decent company to buy from.

No disrespect VTech, but by your own admission you've just bought a new bike having only just taken up road cycling and you've yet to ride it on a road yet. Why exactly are you buying a £450 bike box?
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:

No disrespect VTech, but by your own admission you've just bought a new bike having only just taken up road cycling and you've yet to ride it on a road yet. Why exactly are you buying a £450 bike box?

I work abroad quite a lot and dont want the bike wrecked if I take it with me. I looked around for one that will give me the best chance of getting to the other side without mishap and after help here I chose the BBA.
    Having said that, the wife commented earlier "You've only just bought the bike, why you buying a box before you even ride the thing!"
    Living MY dream.
  • Kudos to any man who spends £450 on a bike box when he's only just bought his first bike.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    VTech wrote:

I'm guessing trolling, or very very stupid.
  • VTech
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I'm guessing trolling, or very very stupid.

At first I thought you were simply a man who like to poke fun. Now I just think your simple.
    You say I'm stupid yet I have a decent(ish) bike, I travel a lot and have bought a box to keep it safe.
    Where in any of that would the average man think that to be stupid ?
    Living MY dream.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I thought you were going for your first bike ride today, what's happened?
  • VTech
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    I thought you were going for your first bike ride today, what's happened?

Had no intentions to go into personals but the wife had her bag stolen last night so instead of sleeping and resting I was in the town collecting her and friends. I'm going for a ride later.
    Living MY dream.
  • I cannot see anything wrong with buying expensive stuff as long as you can afford it! If cycling doesn't work out for VTech then we are the ones that would benefit from it. He will be selling all his stuff he has never used for fraction of the price!! :D
  • VTech
    kamil1891 wrote:
    I cannot see anything wrong with buying expensive stuff as long as you can afford it! If cycling doesn't work out for VTech then we are the ones that would benefit from it. He will be selling all his stuff he has never used for fraction of the price!! :D

It wouldnt be the first time I assure you, but I do think this time will be different.
    Living MY dream.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I’ve just ordered one of these:

Will report back when it arrives...
    Let us know, looks like a good price. I'm sitting ready to pull the trigger on a BBA, be good to get something comparable at this price.
  • fsd61b
    fsd61b Posts: 109
    Hi VTech, did you get your bike box? Interested to know how if it turned out to be as good as advertised.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I've just come back from Lanzarote with a group of friends on Sunday after a week. Two of them used these http://www.thebikeboxcompany.co.uk/deluxe.html and they like them. They got them for £120, seems they've gone up a tenner.

I just used a cardboard box, like I always do :)
  • fsd61b
    fsd61b Posts: 109
    Ha ha, I've just been looking at reenforcing a cardboard box (bits of ply and duct tape). The one on the link looks good for the price though. I've booked flight with only bike box and no case allowance so if it does not fit in the bike box it's not coming.
  • Careca
    Careca Posts: 95
    I know someone who just uses a bike box from a shop and has never had any problems. I would really like a bike box but have been a bit put off by the fact that they don't seem to be very hard wearing, eg wheels falling off, material cracking, so a reinforced box, with some kind of struts to prevent crushing, sounds the way forward.
  • VTech
    fsd61b wrote:
    Hi VTech, did you get your bike box? Interested to know how if it turned out to be as good as advertised.

Mine hasnt arrived yet but should be here this week.
    Im off to new york next week so will be using it and ill let you know if the bike stays in 1 piece.
    Living MY dream.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Good luck with the weather for road biking, NYC is not known for its good weather in Feb!
  • VTech
    dodgy wrote:
    Good luck with the weather for road biking, NYC is not known for its good weather in Feb!

Im actually traveling down to Charleston from Newark so the temps are in the mid/late 70's at the moment.
    Ive never had an issue with Charleston as its a military airport but my concern is New York as ive had issues in the past their.
    In an ideal world i.d be stopping over in NY for a few days as ive never done snow in the states before.
    Living MY dream.