super cheap mtb frames

mikeouk
mikeouk Posts: 148
edited February 2013 in MTB general
just thought this might be of interest to someone wanting a cheap MTB frame to build a commuter or single speed hack.
Planet x are selling alloy SAB frames for £50 inc delivery. Ordered one myself and im going to swap bits of an old GT steel framed bike I have and build a single speed bike.
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRSBHAM/sab_hydroformed_alloy_mtb_frame

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    what the hell? reduced from £599 to £49? waah
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    HEAVY......I'd buy a semi decent used frame for less money.... a 17" frame should be around the 1750g mark, not over 2Kg! Never, ever, ever worth £599! Noting that the 19" is allegedly reduced from £599, the 17" from £199 - barely (OK not at all) credable!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think that's a typo. Some of the others say from £199 and even that's a bit optimistic, I think.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Compare to a handsome dog for about £100....that's the most it would be worth (and it's heavier than the HD)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mikeouk
    mikeouk Posts: 148
    yeh id say a typo. i cant see where they can get the original price from anyway, planet x bought the contence of the sab factory warehouse and shipped it all back from italy. These frames have to have been sitting around for years and whos ever heard of or seen a sab bike anyway? I googled them and found very little info, so the original price must have been pulled out of the air.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    One day they will get the description right. 1400g or 2010g? carbon rear end or not?

Also has italian threaded BB.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    supersonic wrote:
    One day they will get the description right. 1400g or 2010g? carbon rear end or not?

Also has italian threaded BB.

Yeah exactly that.

£200 to £600 to £50... seems like a Halfords sale ;)
  • l33boy
    l33boy Posts: 63
    What a palava with these frames :roll:
    Got one for a cheap build for the wife and asked plenty of questions before hand... plenty!
    I'll not go into the lack of knowledge these guys have but here's the summary:
    Weight: 2K
    BB: BSA 68mm (not Italian)
    Headset: Zero Stack or 44mm semi-integrated (not integrated)
    I had bought a BB & Headset after being assured the website was correct, was going to build it whilst the snow was falling.
    When it did eventually arrive well over a week later I found it was as above :roll:
    Now over two weeks on and they have eventually updated the website but are still to compensate me for my outlay (as promised... Gary :wink: )
    Come on PlanetX, you normally look after your customers, don't let me down.

Anyway, besides all that it is a very nice frame for the price... but I may be sending it back at this rate!
    Bike: 5.8Kgs!
    Me: 92Kgs!!!
  • The Rookie
    Caveat emptor, we'd all picked up why it was a lousy buy even without those extra errors.....I'd just send it back and get a decent frame.
  • l33boy
    Maybe, but I hadn't seen this thread when I bought it :wink:

Still, like I said, it's a nice looking frame in the flesh, certainly worth a punt for a decent, cheap ATB
  • The Rookie
    At over 2Kg I'd still send it back...people say Carrera Vulcan frames are heavy and they are about 1800g!
  • l33boy
    1800 grams is not heavy for a 'cheap' Ally frame, not sure who would say it is.
    2Kg's (weighed @ 1.975) is not heavy, it's a bit podgy but flippin'eck a visit to the toilet will save you 200grams.....
    Like I said, if you can find a frame for under £50 that is fit for purpose and looks this good, point me at it and I'll send this back.
  • supersonic
    Not really the point, if a certain set of stats are advertised then you expect them to be what they state.

I emailed OnOne and they said that the frame was 2010g and not 1400g, and certainly wasn't £600. Glad to see they have updated it, but if you bought one with the old stats and were not happy then you have every right to send it back.

For £50 it is good though.
  • l33boy
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, I was fully aware that the weight was way out and that 2K was more realistic.
    I just added to this thread to warn people that the BB is BSA and that the headset is ZS, the latter being very important as it's not a 'regular' spec.
    As it is, PX have come up with the goods and reimbursed my losses due to their error (thanks Gary)
    I'm a pragmatic kind of guy and don't get wound up by these things as long as people do right by you... and they have :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    supersonic wrote:
    if you bought one with the old stats and were not happy then you have every right to send it back.

If you bought one and weren't happy, even if all the stats were right you can send it back ;)

For what it's worth, there's a lot of frames like this- unglamorous but decent- sat up the back of sheds all across the country. Too nice to bin, too cheap to post. If you're after something like that a post in the classifieds will probably get something ideal. I've been looking for a better home for my Kraken frame for ages now I've got my Soda, frinstance.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    Just got £25 from a Vulcan frame I flogged on ebay which needed a new mech hanger but was otherwise fairly clean, so one with a decent hanger should fetch you over £30 even after posting and fee's (yes I've accountde for ebay and paypal fees).
  • supersonic
    My best bargain was a GT Zaskar Team Coupe De Monde frame with accessories, £60 delivered!
  • The Rookie
    Must have been an auction ending at a funny time......

Daughters Recon golds, £72 delivered (3pm Friday), sold some Toras for £65 delivered (7pm Sunday)!
  • supersonic
    Bought it in the classifieds here lol.
  • l33boy
    OK don't rub it in chaps :)
    I did have a very good look around but didn't find anything (at the time) to match it... and I am very good at getting bargains, honest! I did post in the wanted section as well....
    PX have given me their ZS headset that pretty much covers the frame cost.
    Once I've returned the goods I bought I'll actually be quids in so i think it's a keeper.

seeing as you guys are obviously 'in the know' try and find me a frame for my 12 year old..... her Raleigh weighs a ton :shock:
  • The Rookie
    Wheel size? Brake type?

Small frames are heavy anyway as the heaviest bits (BB shell, head tube, dropouts) are the same as fuill size bikes.
  • l33boy
    24" V-brake, it's a raleigh AT10 24... just got the little 'un an IslaBike for Chrimbo and the eldest is very envious!
    Probably cheaper to just buy her an IslaBike as well!
  • The Rookie
  • supersonic
    The Raleigh AT10 frame is aluminium - not too heavy to start. The weight will be ion the fork and tyres.