Spare wheel for Trainer

roflomusic
roflomusic Posts: 21
edited February 2013 in Training, fitness and health
Greetings Bike Radar Nation!

I have a CycleOps trainer and I love it. The sad part is that I have to constantly change my rear tire when I need to use it, then change back to ride outside. I want to purchase a cheap rear wheel and Shimano 10-speed cassette for the trainer.

Any suggestions or recommendations? I'd really appreciate it.
Robert Flores, musician/teacher
2012 Scott Foil 20

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Scour Ebay for any old 700c rear wheel as long as it is round, you not going to care for looks...
    Most people I know seem to have half a dozen spare front wheels in garages and sheds... begs a question where all the rear wheels get to.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Get the cheapest wheel available. My turbo wheel is the cheapest I could find at Decathlon a couple of years ago and I never had any problems with it.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    ask your lbs for a turbo wheel - they can usually source cheapos
  • A word of warning...

I was in the same boat, looking for a basic alloy rear wheel to use with a home trainer tyre. I managed to get hold of one and fitted the same cassette as I normally use. Put the wheel on the bike and none of the gears would line up. I had to mess about with them just to make it rideable. Of course, swapping back to my main wheel meant I had to re-adjust the rear derailed again. It was a pain in the proverbial and I haven't bothered using the new wheel since.

It appears that different hubs can position the cassette slightly differently and, I am told, they can't be adjusted. It may be worth checking this with your LBS before making a purchase :)
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I change tyres on my PT wheel every time as well and can do it in about 2 mins now, including back and forth from a cold garage to a warm kitchen to fit it, and also swapping over the cassette from SRAM to Campag - OK, on the PT the freehub just pulls off and slides back on but even so.... It really doesnt take long and saves the hassle of another wheel as already said, especially if it doesnt quite align perfectly.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • A word of warning...

I was in the same boat, looking for a basic alloy rear wheel to use with a home trainer tyre. I managed to get hold of one and fitted the same cassette as I normally use. Put the wheel on the bike and none of the gears would line up. I had to mess about with them just to make it rideable. Of course, swapping back to my main wheel meant I had to re-adjust the rear derailed again. It was a pain in the proverbial and I haven't bothered using the new wheel since.

It appears that different hubs can position the cassette slightly differently and, I am told, they can't be adjusted. It may be worth checking this with your LBS before making a purchase :)

:lol: They can be adjusted - you can get spacers to go behind your cassette. Sounds like you need to get a new LBS
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Bigpikle wrote:
    I change tyres on my PT wheel every time as well and can do it in about 2 mins now, including back and forth from a cold garage to a warm kitchen to fit it, and also swapping over the cassette from SRAM to Campag - OK, on the PT the freehub just pulls off and slides back on but even so.... It really doesnt take long and saves the hassle of another wheel as already said, especially if it doesnt quite align perfectly.

Same here. I have teo wheels, my PT and my standard wheel. Since using TR I'm using the PT on the trainer and the other on the road. Swapping tyres is a real pain.

The cassette alignment between the two wheels isn't spot on and does require a small amount of adjustment, but this takes about 30 secs. Overall, switching the wheel over is a 2 min job. The longest part for me is having to deflate the tyre to remove it from the frame (as my brakes don't open up very far)

Must less hassle than having to swap a tyre every time. If the effort was similar, I'd be swapping tyres as miss the PT data when on the road.
    Simon