MTB slick tyre, help

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
This just a update.
I initially been trying to get a mtb slick tyre as part of my process of making my mtb into a proper little commuter.

Have a couple of issues though.

My wheels: Mavic x517 ,i was going to stick some schwale duranos 1.1 on them but after speaking around they going to be VERY tight fit, as they right on the max i can use with these rims.

so suggestion, a to replacements?(maybe someone has similar rims with slicks?)

really looking for 1.3+ if that even possible.
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    if disc then the crazy bobs in 2.3" if you want something really fat.

Personally I'd fit kojaks in either 1.3 or 2 inch.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Tightness has nothing to do with the tyre width.

On the pub bike I run some 1"ers on a really wide rim brake rim, no issues.
  • I am pretty sire that a 1.1 will be too narrow for those rims. A 1.3 would be the minimum. I used the 1.6 conti sport contacts and found them great and very fast with great puncture protection.

However, seeing as bikediscount.de are doing kojaks for £20 each id be tempted by those. I'd discount the 1.3 and go for 2.0 as you will have greater comfort and i bet you wont notice any difference in resistance or speed
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I am pretty sire that a 1.1 will be too narrow for those rims. A 1.3 would be the minimum. I used the 1.6 conti sport contacts and found them great and very fast with great puncture protection.

They'll be absolutely fine, IIRC they have pressure recommendations for 1" tyres, and I've fitted Conti GPs and Spesh All Conditions to 517s/XC717s
  • njee20 wrote:
    I am pretty sire that a 1.1 will be too narrow for those rims. A 1.3 would be the minimum. I used the 1.6 conti sport contacts and found them great and very fast with great puncture protection.

They'll be absolutely fine, IIRC they have pressure recommendations for 1" tyres, and I've fitted Conti GPs and Spesh All Conditions to 517s/XC717s

Really? I stand corrected then (said the man in the orthopaedic shoes)
  • njee20
    They're among the narrowest 26" rims out there!
  • Looked at bikediscount and
    Kojak Performance 2,00" folding 21 quid each(never used kojaks before though, how good are they??)

Then theres the trusty contis grand prix but their 1.1/8 so using maths thats 1.25ish, probably too narrow for my x517s again:(

any other suggestions? or go for kojaks...
  • njee20
    They're not too narrow. They'll 'gear down' your MTB slightly, but they'll be the fastest tyres.
  • Just seen the Durano 1.35s from CRC £17.99 seems good deal.

Will they fit my rims though?

Or go for Kojak 2.0" also now found on crc for £17.99?
  • njee20
    Yes they will. There is no correlation between how tight and how wide the tyres are.

You can fit 1" Conti or Spesh tyres onto X517s, I've done it myself several times. That's not to say they won't be tight, but they do fit. You may find some 2.1" tyres that are harder to fit, or some 1.5"s that are easier.

Anything mentioned will fit, learn to fit them properly, try a different rim tape if they're really tight, but you're just going to have to try!
  • Kenda Kwest 1.5", £15 a pair on eBay. No need to spend twice that!
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::