Using Electrical Tape Instead Of Rim Tape

ChantelleC
ChantelleC Posts: 48
edited February 2013 in Workshop
I bought some new wheels online that came yesterday but they didn't have any rim tape on them. I have put 2 layers each of electrical tape around them (which I have now run out of) to save buying rim tape. I haven't put the tyres on yet as I wanted to check first but would the 2 layers of electrical tape be enough to stop the tubes bursting or will I need to wait until I can go out and buy some more?

Thanks
Scott Foil 30
Trek 1.2
Trek Fuel EX5

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    I have done this for 20 years at least

1 layer, pref red tape :roll:
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    +1 for electric tape, but only black!
    Finished
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Yup - no problems at all: used it for years and years and years and years and years. Am still too tight too use anything else.

Also a psychological advantage as you burn people off knowing that you have 50p electrical tape adorning your wheel rims.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    It's pretty much the bike equivalent of flying the Millenium Falcon. Only you need to know it's literally all being held together with sticky tape.

It works perfectly, just make sure that you've got the edges of the valve hole adequately covered.
  • Thanks for all the responses, I can now put my tyres on!

Mikenetic you have just made me realise that I have actually taped over the valve hole! oops :)
    Scott Foil 30
    Trek 1.2
    Trek Fuel EX5
  • Yossie
    No worries there - just stab through the tape with a blade then push the valve through: this will ensure that the edges of the hole in the wheel are covered so they don't give you a puncture.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Just don't blow your tyres up too hard. Rim tape is non stretch for a reason.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and dont brake too much seen the heat of rim brakes effect insulting tape.

high pressures and big hills dont go well with insulting tape.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yossie
    Nah - it'll be fine: I run 125/130psi tyres with insulting tape with no worries: done so for years and years and years. As for braking: nah, it'll be fine.
  • Liking this - never done it, often thought of it.
    I'm going to give it a go on the Turbo for a few months first, then chek the tape and decide.....
    I'm going RED as I don't have any red on the bike and feel the need to know I'm using a flash of red somewhere.
    Always like a money saving scheme.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed