Deals and 0 % finance

MutantMeteor
MutantMeteor Posts: 13
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
As I'm sure it's standard to barter when buying a bike from say a lbs. How would this approach work if say you wanted to take a 0 % finance option. Would the shop consider that a finance option discludes any kind of negotiation , be this on the actual price or perhaps small extras thrown in.
Interested to hear if anyone has any insight into this ?

Comments

• dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    You will find that bike shops won't budge on price on a 2013 model.
    Finance is only available on 2013 models.
    I took out a credit card with a famous supermarket beginning with T. 18 months interest free.
    Got a 2011 (12 months ago) model knocked down from £2300 to £1800.

Credit card essentially give me more flexibility than finance
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    It's rare that a shop will give you a discount on top of a finance deal, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask but I'd make it clear you need the finance first (you can usually get 10% off pretty easily for cash though on a 2013 bike). As above an interest-free credit card is generally the cheapest way to do it but you need to be disciplined and not start paying off only the minimum balance etc. ;)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A debit card costs the shop less. "Discount for cash" only works if they're fiddling the books. Pretty unlikely with high value low volume stock like bikes.

But yes, finance is expensive, and with credit cards often doing up to 2 years interest free I'd say that puts you in a much stronger position.
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    I went with the CC option, it gives you the freedom to buy from anywhere you like which means more bikes to choose from :)
  • i managed to get the 2013 new entry level camber for £1200 instead of £1500. They had a quick sale on at my LBS and was the only place in the country that had it cheaper with it being a 2013 model.
    Other shops told me they would never have the 2013 on sale untill end of the year.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    dhooper7 wrote:
    Finance is only available on 2013 models.

Thats not quite true is it.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    May be for his LBS, but no, it's not universal.