Headset identification & purchasing help please

pollys_bott
pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
OK, mechanical numpty in the house so please be gentle...

Part one: I'm pretty sure my bike has a semi-integrated headset. The bearings in the upper race are caged and held in by a washer & compression ring just like in the sixth photo down on this page:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -standards

And I can't get at the bottom race. Could someone please confirm that I do indeed have a semi-integrated headset?

Part two: looking to replace said headset as it's been on the bike since new (2003/4) and having taken it apart for a clean today there is some pitting in the top cup and the whole thing is feeling a little graunchy. Would something like this fit OK...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39383

I'm assuming that what I'm seeing in the image are the top and bottom cups, cap and top cap; and spacers are bought separately, yes? Finally, given that I don't have one of those tools for getting headset cups out will I be taking the p1ss if I buy said headset off t'internet and take it to my LBS for fitting?!

Thanks...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the bike is a?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pollys_bott
    :oops:

2004 Trek 1400
  • nicklouse
    Mmm not listed on Treks webby

but if the cups are hidden in the frame with just a lip visible then yes it is a Zero stack/internal/semi integrated headset and the WCS should fit.

some for info for you to have a look at viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12600768
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • pollys_bott
    Thanks for your help - yes, hidden cups with the lip visible top and bottom.

In an ideal world how often should headset bearings be checked and cleaned ie is it worth spending £60-odd on a cup remover and a headset press instead of taking it to the LBS every 'x' months / years?

Thanks again...
  • nicklouse
    Thanks for your help - yes, hidden cups with the lip visible top and bottom.

In an ideal world how often should headset bearings be checked and cleaned ie is it worth spending £60-odd on a cup remover and a headset press instead of taking it to the LBS every 'x' months / years?

Thanks again...
    if you get a headset with cartridge bearings you will not need to change the cups very often at all as the bearings dont move in the cups.

just pull the bearings out and fit new.