Swap out 2300 for Tiagra groupset

ErikH
ErikH Posts: 22
edited February 2013 in Road general
Hi ,
I have a Specialized Allez, 2012 with Shimano 2300 parts/groupset. I am just wondering if it would make any/much difference to swap these and put on a Tiagra groupset. I was looking at 105 groupset but probably couldn't afford it, so figured Tiagra would be a better option.
I will probably be holding onto the bike for a while and figure I will make upgrades whenever cash allows.
Also, if I bought his from my LBS would it be reasonable to expect them to fit it FOC or for even a nominal fee?

Thanks,
Eric
Specialized Allez 16 - 2012

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Wouldn't bother unless the existing stuff is worn out to be honest. Tis an expensive swap for an extra cog and nicer shifters

Can't see a bike shop doing a full groupset swap for nothing either
  • ErikH
    Ok, cheers, I thought that aswell.
    Sorry, wouldn't expect them to do it for nothing, it'd seem like a pain to do anyway.
    I might keep the 2300 on the bike so, it's working grand, just wanted to put something a bit nicer on it.

Thanks,
  • I got a pair of ultegra shifters second hand and a new rear cassette put on my allez 16. To be honest shifting gears is a lot more convenient, but I'm not sure it is worth the money unless you really want to.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As above if you go the second hand route and manage to pick up a cheap pair of 10 speed shifters then all you'd need is a 10 speed cassette and chain.
  • ErikH
    Thanks everyone, something to think over.

Cheers
    E
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    i have as good as new 10 speed tiagra shifters for sale if interested. ;)

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12902545
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    I've found 2300 to be reliable/smooth enough. Imo I'd save up for 105, or buy a new bike. Probably most cost effective way to do it - espesh if you'll relegate the current bike to a winter bike...
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    Finlaz22 wrote:
    I've found 2300 to be reliable/smooth enough. Imo I'd save up for 105, or buy a new bike. Probably most cost effective way to do it - espesh if you'll relegate the current bike to a winter bike...

the only problem is you cant use the thumb shifter when in the drops with 2300 or sora. Rather annoying.
  • ErikH
    Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    Finlaz22 wrote:

the only problem is you cant use the thumb shifter when in the drops with 2300 or sora. Rather annoying.

ah yeah, that - and if you want 10spd - are the only real reasons I would consider upgrading. Mind you, I dunno whether it's worth that sort of money just for less hassle. I'd prefer to save up and get a caad10 or something haha
  • Shifting quality is mainly down to shifters, upgrading to full 105/ultegra derailleurs for instance won't do much for shifting quality, except lighten the wallet and save a few grams. Get a nice 10 speed cassette + nice 10 speed chain + 10 speed shifters on a second hand deal. I did this for ~£100 and the shifting quality is better, you can shift on the drops and generally reap the benefits of being on a 10 speed drivetrain. Then if you do end up buying a new bike down the line buy one with the groupset you want. It just really isn't worth buying a full 105/ultegra groupset to put on a specialized allez, especially the base models..
  • goffski
    goffski Posts: 72
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    Finlaz22 wrote:

Yep, starting to get a little annoying for me. I was thinking over swapping over to the Sora 2013 shifters. I've seen them for about £120 but i'm not in a rush so they might have come down in price by the time i'm ready to swap them over.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    yeachan153 wrote:
    It just really isn't worth buying a full 105/ultegra groupset to put on a specialized allez, especially the base models..
    Why?

Full 105 gs can be got for ~400 quid ish - to get that on a new road bike is over £1k I believe. So are you going to get £600 for a second hand base Allez?!
    If you like the frame of the Allez then wheels and group set could be a sensible upgrade. Or am i missing something?
  • Because the main benefits of upgrading (better shifting+better position) can be had by spending much less on a shifter, cassette and chain combo. The allez is also a heavy bike at ~9.6kg and the weight savings of 105/ultegra would not be worth it to lower the weight alone, for £400. Neither would shifting quality increase significantly with going for full 105 then the shifter+chain+cassette combo to justify £400. Rather save £300 or buy new wheels if the op feels like it
  • It could well be worth it. I upgraded from Sora 9 sped to Tiagra 10 speed recently for a number of reasons. For me I wanted a lower gear at the back but I wanted to reduce the gap I would have got in the middle of the cassette if I had stayed with then 9 speed. I also wanted to be able to shift up from the drops which was difficult with the old thumb leaver.

I managed to get the whole groupset (new) for less than £280 so by the time I sold the old stuff it didn't really cost that much.
  • slowbike
    yeachan153 wrote:
    Because the main benefits of upgrading (better shifting+better position) can be had by spending much less on a shifter, cassette and chain combo. The allez is also a heavy bike at ~9.6kg and the weight savings of 105/ultegra would not be worth it to lower the weight alone, for £400. Neither would shifting quality increase significantly with going for full 105 then the shifter+chain+cassette combo to justify £400. Rather save £300 or buy new wheels if the op feels like it

Quite agree with the weight - but I wouldn't be looking to do it for weight savings - I could happily loose more than the difference on the engine!
    So - the 105 gives better shifting & position (is that just finger rather than thumb?) - it is also the lowest model to offer inside cable routing - I like (the idea of) that too ..

To start saving on the weight of the frame I'd have to spend significantly more to save anything material ... ie A Specialized Tarmac SL2 weighs in at 9Kg and they start at £1k and for the 105 kit you're looking at £1500 ..

So for someone like me - going to a 105 GS could offer better shifting, position, integral cabling as well as going from 8 speed to 10 speed - all on a frame I like and for less than I could spend on buying a new bike.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't suggest going out and buying a base model with the intention of upgrading the parts straight away, but if you've got a good frame and it's in good condition then it seems a shame to throw that away just to save a 1Kg and have slightly better kit on it.

I suppose the real answer is to relegate the Allez to a hack bike and buy a nice new carbon race bike ... ;)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I put 105 on my Allez after I'd worn the original groupo into the ground. But to be the honest the main reason was the internal cabling on the 105 5700 being nicer to look at!

Saying that, echo what others have said, if it ain't broke, don't bother upgrading.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Quite agree with the weight - but I wouldn't be looking to do it for weight savings - I could happily loose more than the difference on the engine!
    So - the 105 gives better shifting & position (is that just finger rather than thumb?) - it is also the lowest model to offer inside cable routing - I like (the idea of) that too ..

To start saving on the weight of the frame I'd have to spend significantly more to save anything material ... ie A Specialized Tarmac SL2 weighs in at 9Kg and they start at £1k and for the 105 kit you're looking at £1500 ..

So for someone like me - going to a 105 GS could offer better shifting, position, integral cabling as well as going from 8 speed to 10 speed - all on a frame I like and for less than I could spend on buying a new bike.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't suggest going out and buying a base model with the intention of upgrading the parts straight away, but if you've got a good frame and it's in good condition then it seems a shame to throw that away just to save a 1Kg and have slightly better kit on it.

I suppose the real answer is to relegate the Allez to a hack bike and buy a nice new carbon race bike ... ;)
    Yeah, the allez 16 doesn't possess internal cabling. And you agree with me in saying you wouldn't do it for weight reasons! So looks like the op wants to do it for better shifting and position like you say. What I am saying is that it's not worth shelling out £400 for a full 105 groupset when buying 3 bits (shifter+cassette+chain) is much cheaper, and gets you most of the benefits. Then if the op wants to, he can save up for a new bike / wheels if he wants it with the £300 left over. This seems far economical and beneficial to performance, or just keeping the money!

But if you do have a frame, and you do want internal cabling (I didn't know 105 was the first internal cabling groupset!) then off course, by all means it's more of a justification to get it.

Anyway, it is up to the op to decide on this, just offering advice on what I did with my spesh allez - I also considered going down the 105 route, hope he finds the right choice for him
  • slowbike
    So which shifters would you suggest?

I'd be upgrading from 8 speed 2300. I've already got a nicer pair of wheels and I'm not into racing so all out speed isn't the aim!
    Btw. I think the 105 5700 is the lowest shimano kit you can get with cabling routing inside. The cabling down the frame is external but I can live with that :)
  • For what it's worth, I changed my 2013 sora set on my Allez Sport for a 105 (5700) group set and the shifting was much better, and I preferred the aesthetics too, espicallt the shifters.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN