Bike for the girlfriend

jonnyboy66uk
jonnyboy66uk Posts: 260
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
The girlfriend has her cycle to work voucher to use and will be doing some sportives this year as well as a few charity rides.

So she is looking for a good carbon framed ladies specific bike for around the 1300 mark.

So far she has found a cannondale synapse carbon with 105 groupset and the Focus Izalco donna again with 105 groupset for 1300, any reviews on these bikes and any other suggestions.

She is only 5ft 2 so it will need to be small framed bike but a kind of one bike for all occasions...

Comments

• Both should be excellent choices for the price and purpose. I'd say the synapse has a bit more potential as a sportive-commuter than the Izalco. Lady-frames are especially effective when it comes down to the smaller sizes.

good luck choosing! Making sure your attention goes towards the bike fitting her posture.
  • The missus has just gone one of these in XS, she says it's much more comfy than her Cayo; reasonably light too.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/focus-izalco-te ... orce-2012/

It's essentially an Izalco Donna without the girly colours and tweeks.
    The Force levers are adjustable so can be adjusted for small hands.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I saw the title and thought, 'I've got an old Raleigh he could have, but I'd have to see a pic of his girlfriend first !'
    :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Both should be excellent choices for the price and purpose. I'd say the synapse has a bit more potential as a sportive-commuter than the Izalco. Lady-frames are especially effective when it comes down to the smaller sizes.

good luck choosing! Making sure your attention goes towards the bike fitting her posture.

So are you saying the focus is more relaxed riding position than the Synapse?

Trouble is oxford is rubbish for cycling shops unless you like specialized or bianchi..... where can she sit on a Focus?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Have you looked at the Lappier bikes? they are amazing build quality.
    Living MY dream.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    But you are limited to £1000 on the cycle to work scheme!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • VTech
    smidsy wrote:

You can pay the difference though.
    Living MY dream.
  • smidsy
    VTech wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Not legally.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • VTech
    smidsy wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Not legally.

serious ?
    I run this for my staff and 3 have taken it up and I clearly asked if making up the difference was allowed.
    Living MY dream.
  • smidsy
    Yes serious. Not without a separate credit license.

9.1 of the attached refers.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/c ... idance.pdf
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • VTech
    Yes, Just checked, we have a credit license so are able to allow a higher costing purchase.
    Living MY dream.
  • smidsy
    Well at least you burnt a few hundred calories during your few moments of panic!!! :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • VTech
    smidsy wrote:
    Well at least you burnt a few hundred calories during your few moments of panic!!! :-)

Just been on the trainer and turned over 203cal, im knackered and off to bed.
    Living MY dream.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Saw this recently and thought about it for the wife, but it's too small. Not sure what size you're looking for. It's a bargain and a lovely looking thing.

http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... 16367.aspx
  • So are you saying the focus is more relaxed riding position than the Synapse?

The other way around. Personally I think the Izalco and Focus range in general has a very low headset aimed at racing style riding. This might not be a problem for you're wive since you said she needed an s or xs frame. but thats not all of it.

The synapse has a longer wheelbase, incorporates more clever 'build in compliance' which increases the bikes contact with the road (in a good way!).

Focus delivers very high spec for the price but imho cannondale frames tend to deliver the ride quality you just can't put on a spec sheet.
  • i wouldnt buy her anything that will allow her to travel too far away from the kitchen. sorry someone had to say it lol
  • VTech
    djhermer wrote:
    Saw this recently and thought about it for the wife, but it's too small. Not sure what size you're looking for. It's a bargain and a lovely looking thing.

http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... 16367.aspx

Thats a sweet looking bike.
    Living MY dream.
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    I see that Boardman/Halfords have the Boardman Team Carbon fi (female informed) in small (50cm) for £999. Full carbon frame and forks and mainly 105 components.
  • DaveM399 wrote:
    I see that Boardman/Halfords have the Boardman Team Carbon fi (female informed) in small (50cm) for £999. Full carbon frame and forks and mainly 105 components.

That would have been brilliant but no stock on the small frame......
  • So are you saying the focus is more relaxed riding position than the Synapse?

The other way around. Personally I think the Izalco and Focus range in general has a very low headset aimed at racing style riding.

The Izalco ergoride (which the Donna is) is very relaxed, think you are getting confused with the regular Izalco.

0015773_focus_izalco_ergoride_20_compact_racing_road_bike_2013.jpeg
  • ah i see. you're right I got confused. Maybe you've got me convinced.
    The specs are pretty rad for a bike this price.
  • That Focus looks sweet, I love SRAM but for some women with smaller hands the shift lever hurts their finger. Proceed carefully. My GF hates SRAM and has had to live with it for a few months before I swapped to Shimano.

Frame-wise, the Ribble SPortive Bianco is amazing. Really stiff frame and you could put 105 or Ultegra on it with some decent wheels for just over a grand. What's not to like? (well, the name Ribble for one)

I got my GF the 44cm Sportive Biance and she really likes it. Bare frame is 1050 grams which isn't bad for £380!
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • That Focus looks sweet, I love SRAM but for some women with smaller hands the shift lever hurts their finger. Proceed carefully. My GF hates SRAM and has had to live with it for a few months before I swapped to Shimano.

We went specifically for SRAM for the lever throw adjustability because she couldn't reach the Ultegra on her Cayo.
    So far I've not heard complaints RE finger pain but she has only been out a few times so far, has struggled a bit with the swap to doubletap.
    I like SRAM/doubletap too, I find the dual lever of shimano a bit vague.