Giant TCR BB inserts

c40nl12
c40nl12 Posts: 40
edited February 2013 in Workshop
Hi All, has anyone else had a problem with the metal inserts in the bb shell of a Giant TCR frame coming loose ? I have Campag BB 86 adaptors fitted into my frame and when going to change the bearings on the UT chainset the metal inserts and cups come out together. I am taking the bike back to the dealer so that they can take some photos and get in touch with Giant as to how to proceed. I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Comments

• Nooge
    Nooge Posts: 3
    Ironically I have exactly the same issue with my 2010 TCR advanced. I changed the BB a year ago with no issues and tonight the metal inserts have come out still attached. Looks like it'll be tricky separating them...
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I would be suprised if giant make any comment if any modifications or work have been carried out by an authorised dealer or certified mechanic. It clearly states in their warranty policy.
    But there will be a work around for the issue.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Meant to say, haven't
  • Nooge
    Yes I agree. I'm going to use an inline hacksaw to cut the bb cup out of the insert tomorrow.

Should be fun(!)
  • I should say that the Campag cups were fitted by the bike shop at the time of buying the frame so I feel taht I am on solid ground there.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Take it back to shop as a warranty claim - they should simply never come out. I wouldn't worry about cutting off the UT cup
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Nooge
    I ran into some issues cutting the cup out. The inserts have a curved lip on the inside edge so was very difficult to hacksaw it out. Was considering the Dremel but called the shop and they're submitting it as a warranty issue. Good times. Only downside is I'll be commuting on my mountain bike for a few weeks.