would you replace this?

boborange
boborange Posts: 84
edited February 2013 in Road general
Just did 45 miles on sunday in poor conditions due to flooding washing alot of crap onto the roads. Fortuntley I had no punctures but in the space of 10 miles 3 punctures occured. Anyway on checking my tyre i have several 'slits' in them with the image attached being the biggest where you can see through the rubber to a red layer underneath.

The slit is 5mm long and about 1mm in width, the tyres are schwalbe lugano 700x25c and i have only done 450 miles on them. is it worth replacing them with something like conti gatorskin or do the tyres still have some life?

thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Unless the carcass is comprised, i.e. cut right-through they should be OK
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Nah, whack some superglue in there, job done
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    +1 on glue it. In the centre is the strongest part. Sidewall would concern me but not there.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Minus one on the glue. Superglue is brittle and sharp. You might as well glue glass in there! Slits don't tend to grow and they are pretty unlikely to pick up a new bit of glass (though obviously it is possible) so there isn't much point in glueing them (least of all with an inflexible glue). Main thing is to keep a regular eye on the tyre, especially after being used a lot in bad weather, and pick the glass out of the the slits - a few will have something in them.

By the time it comes to bin the tyre, it will have loads and loads of cuts in it anyway.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • smoggysteve
    Rolf F wrote:
    Minus one on the glue. Superglue is brittle and sharp. You might as well glue glass in there! Slits don't tend to grow and they are pretty unlikely to pick up a new bit of glass (though obviously it is possible) so there isn't much point in glueing them (least of all with an inflexible glue). Main thing is to keep a regular eye on the tyre, especially after being used a lot in bad weather, and pick the glass out of the the slits - a few will have something in them.

By the time it comes to bin the tyre, it will have loads and loads of cuts in it anyway.

Well, I would agree superglue is not the best, A latex based glue would be better. Innertube patch repair glue would do. As mentioned, have a look for debris first.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Superglue is great for some things but terrible for others. Mending anything flexible falls into the latter category.

Use rubber solution glue.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    boborange wrote:
    Fortuntley I had no punctures but in the space of 10 miles 3 punctures occured.

Huh?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • I went out tonight and got a puncture!

thanks for your advice, i think i will wack some glue in there and see how it holds.

declan1 wrote:
    boborange wrote:
    Fortuntley I had no punctures but in the space of 10 miles 3 punctures occured.

Huh?

they were other people - not me
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    boborange wrote:
    they were other people - not me

Ah right. That makes sense now...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    To reiterate, what's been said and to add my own two penneth ...take off the tyre, check the carcass. If it's not cut through then the tyre is good to use. I'll admit to using tyres with a cut carcass before without problems for several hundred km but the tube will eventually force it's way through and burst!

Use some vulcanising solution from an inner tube puncture repair kit to glue the rubber in the tyre back together. Dust some talcum powder on the inside to make sure there's no vulcanising solution that can stick to the tube when you re-inflate and then re-fit the tyre.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    a big no for superglue from me. tried it once when i was younger in a tyre. 2 weeks later it was the weak spot and ended the life of a tyre....
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    What are we looking at?
  • smoggysteve
    Secteur wrote:
    What are we looking at?

Its a tyre Secteur, Stick with me mate, I'll keep you right dude.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Just found this thread again - I didnt realise that you can scroll within the first photo, and the slit you describe is out of the initial frame. I can see it now.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Secteur wrote:
    Just found this thread again - I didnt realise that you can scroll within the first photo, and the slit you describe is out of the initial frame. I can see it now.
    Aahhhhh. I have a Tyre with a slit that's much smaller than that. Ordered some shoe goo and will give fixing it a go. Read some were that super glue becomes to hard and sharp to repair rubber.