Campagnolo BB tool

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
edited February 2013 in Workshop
I'm building my first bike from bare frame. I went to Condors today, told them I have a new Campagnolo Centaur Power Torque chainset. They gave me a 14mm wrench HR14 Wrench they say for specifically for Power Torque and a BB tool - Hollowtech II

Does anyone know if these are they correct tools?

I'm not so sure about the Hollowtech II BB tool - is this for Shimano BB's?
14mm HR14 I think is correct.

This is my 1st BB installation.....building a 2nd bike for the back end of winter!

Comments

• Correct toolage... Good luck... If you get it wrong, taking it off needs all different tools...
    left the forum March 2023
  • canoas
    Thanks, I shall try my best. Watching Campagnolo youtube and reading Zinn book.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Correct toolage... Good luck... If you get it wrong, taking it off needs all different tools...

+1. Once I've figured out how to remove my Power Torque chainset (might actually have to pay LBS *shudder* - I don't want to spend a fortune on the tools) I'm getting rid of it as fast as possible. It's a stupid design that Campag should be ashamed of.
  • canoas
    I suppose this is a good start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1_3smRyk-w
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    from the first few seconds I would read the info on Parktools

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... rque#campy

nothing special to it after the frame has been faced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It not a stupid design if you have the tools. If you want a special tool free way of removing cranks then there are other options. If you do not mind buying the tools then the P-T chainset is really very good. Veloce is as light as ultegra for alot less money and has a lower Q-factor. Not a stuipd design at all.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • It not a stupid design if you have the tools. If you want a special tool free way of removing cranks then there are other options. If you do not mind buying the tools then the P-T chainset is really very good. Veloce is as light as ultegra for alot less money and has a lower Q-factor. Not a stuipd design at all.

You know it is a stupid design. They could have used a self extracting bolt, like other manufacturers use... But they didn't think of it, so IT IS a stupid design. When it came out in 2010 shops were fitting without actually having the tools to remove it, as Campagnolo did not make them... Hence IT WAS a stupid thing to do.
    Now things are better and it is usable, but it is far from ideal for DIY enthusiasts
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Powertorque is an abomination - why they felt the need to change from Ultratorque was purely down to trying to save cost, not from improving function
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Powertorque is an abomination - why they felt the need to change from Ultratorque was purely down to trying to save cost, not from improving function

Part of the process of making it worth spending more on the higher end groupsets. Let's be honest, back in 2010 before the new lower end groupsets came out, the only sensible reason not to buy Veloce was that you wanted 11 speed and if you wanted 11 speed the only sensible groupset to buy was Athena. Any other choices in the Campag range were vanity purchases (says the bloke who bought 2010 Centaur twice!).

Now at least there is a reason to buy Chorus too. (And for me, that is now the bottom end of Campags range that I'd want on a bike of mine).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    ^^True story - although the higher groupsets were always lighter. Dropping 400g would cost you something like a grand though!

Still, going back to square taper would be preferable to PT, since at least that way ordinary mortals could remove the damned thing.

I've linked to this before, but this puts it well: http://bikehugger.com/post/view/campagn ... ue-cranks/
  • cycleclinic
    Well I still like my P-T carbon cranks. What tools they require does not bother me much.
  • Well I still like my P-T carbon cranks. What tools they require does not bother me much.

Yes, but when giving advice, one should be objective. If you build bikes for a living, of course you have all the tools, hence for you PT is just as good as Hollowtech... for someone who only has a few tools at home, it is the difference between spending 1 pounds in tools or 100...
    It seems stupid to have a low end group set that requires high end tools
  • cycleclinic
    I would agree with that but as the OP has the PT cranks already so all this talk is moot The OP if he/she is still reading has to get the tools or takes it to a shop unless he/she wants to sell them for a big loss and buy something else. The money lost will buy him Parks PT tools.

Also a Veloce PT crankset can be bought for ~£100. A Shimano 6700 crankset which is the same weight (with BB as veloce with BB) is about £150-£170. The Park tool CBP3 is £44.95 at tredz and the CBP5 is £44.95. So for a bout £20 more you get a better looking crankset (although that is subjective) and one with a lower Q-factor. So PT is not such a bad buy as all of you are making out. You will still need the HT-II cup tools regardless of what 24mm spindle cranks you use so that why I have not included that. Also connsider how many people strip the pinch bolt threads on there HT-II crank arms require an expensive helicoil repair and shimano's system is not without trouble for DIY enhuasists.

So PT need not be more expensive than it's rivals. And I do consider veloce chainsets to be as good as ultegra chainsets.