Shimano Sante hubs 126mm?

simpson
simpson Posts: 11
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi does anyone know if Shimano Sante hubs from the late 1980's are 126mm? And will they replace my Campag Record hubs and fit in my 1987 Roberts road frame? Im hoping that I can use a 7 speed cassette rather than a 6 speed freewheel that my Campag hubs use.

Comments

• You can use a 7 speed freewheel with your current setup. Depending o the frame, the last sprocket might be close to the dropouts. No reason to downgrade...
    left the forum March 2023
  • simpson
    I thought the Sante hubs were equal to Campag quality? And being able to use a cassette rather than freewheel would give me more options? I would like to have them built into the TB14 rims as they seem to fit the bill, even though a little pricey?
  • simpson wrote:
    I thought the Sante hubs were equal to Campag quality? And being able to use a cassette rather than freewheel would give me more options? I would like to have them built into the TB14 rims as they seem to fit the bill, even though a little pricey?

There are lots of 7 speed free wheels around and cassettes. If you are worried buy two or three, that is more than you will need for the rest of your life... They tend to last longer than modern cassettes.
    Contact me about the rims

Paolo
  • simpson
    Yes Paolo, I have tried through your blog 3 days ago, but still I am unable to login. My campag hubs may not be as good as I thought, I need to strip them and inspect. I have 2 sets but both have been used alot when I was younger and have sat corroding in a loft for 27 years. So when I saw the Sante hubs, they looked like a good alternative. But I bow to your knowledge and wisdom. I think that I'm worrying about getting a decent quality freewheel, but I'm not going to be training as hard as when I was a junior! Sunrace or Shimano seem to be the main options?
  • simpson wrote:
    Yes Paolo, I have tried through your blog 3 days ago, but still I am unable to login. My campag hubs may not be as good as I thought, I need to strip them and inspect. I have 2 sets but both have been used alot when I was younger and have sat corroding in a loft for 27 years. So when I saw the Sante hubs, they looked like a good alternative. But I bow to your knowledge and wisdom. I think that I'm worrying about getting a decent quality freewheel, but I'm not going to be training as hard as when I was a junior! Sunrace or Shimano seem to be the main options?

Yeah, I have reached the limit of users that can register to the blog and I should pay to upgrade it, but I am too stingy... So I have added my email address to the contact page instead... :mrgreen:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Well that should help to reduce the cost of my next wheel build then :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sante was a 600 groupset and were 7-speed cassette, decent but not Campagnolo Record quality. I had a white Reynolds 531 frame with white Sante groupset in 1989!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I should have added 130mm OLN
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..