Bowland Badass - you want it tough?

maddog 2
maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
Entries are now open for what can be (genuinely) argued is the hardest sportive of them all - the badass. The only sportive with onion bhajis at the feedstops.

I did it last year and it was a very big day. Certainly as tough as la Marmotte, which I've done twice. I'm going to have another pop at it this year I think, and try and get under 12hrs.

Details here http://bowlandbadass.com/

plus you can sign up for Professor Badass's witty email updates (find him on Strava too).

Anyone wanting any info just pm me, either about the ride itself or general stuff like accommodation, travel etc.
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Comments

• vs
    vs Posts: 468
    I attempted to enter the other day, however, this is not as straightforward as an online entry, you have to request an entry form; I haven't received one yet.
  • maddog 2
    I'll chase it up. As you say, it's not an online entry as it's just a ride run by a small club (and £10) so you'll need to write the entry and pop it in the post. Old skool :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I am going to enter this - :twisted:
    Brian B.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    maddog 2 wrote:
    I'll chase it up. As you say, it's not an online entry as it's just a ride run by a small club (and £10) so you'll need to write the entry and pop it in the post. Old skool :wink:

Thanks.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    How good do you have to be to do this event. I have sent away my details for entry info but checked out 2012 times and some guys were 15hrs plus.

I am no stranger to sportives and long rides and can get around the Fred in 7:30 and the Marmotte in 8hrs. Any relevant info welcome
    Brian B.
  • maddog 2
    you'll be fine then. The stats speak for themselves - 166 miles and 5200-ish metres of ascent (depending on how your Garmin feels on the day). Obviously, None of the climbs individually are as tough as the Fred's but it's the sheer amount of riding that is the key. I didn't attack any of the climbs all day and by the time I got to Birdy Brow I was running on empty, and glad of the final food stop.

The thing that sums it up for me was that coming down off Lythe Fell (Cross of Greet, great descent) you have already done the climbs of Littledale, Jubilee Towers, Boundary Fell, Hall Hill, Bowland Knotts and Lythe Fell (and a few other knotty ones in between) and ridden 80-odd miles - so a decent ride for me on any normal day - and you look to your left and see in the distance Waddie Fell and, behind that, some distance away, the imposing hulk of Pendle Hill, and you realise that you have to ride over both fells and are only are HALF way round :shock: That's when it hits home what you're in for.

But as ever with big rides, fuelling is critical and you need to carry a bit more food than you think. The food stops are good though (bhajis!) and it's well run (even though I'm biased of course), with a good atmosphere as only the brave/daft/uninformed would partake of such a crazy day, so we're all in it together.

This year I'll do more 120+ mile rides beforehand, to get used to the distance. Last year, after 130 I was tired, so I need to train for the that. But it's ace (once you've finished). A genuine challenge.
  • maddog 2 wrote:

The thing that sums it up for me was that coming down off Lythe Fell (Cross of Greet, great descent) you have already done the climbs of Littledale, Jubilee Towers, Boundary Fell, Hall Hill, Bowland Knotts and Lythe Fell (and a few other knotty ones in between) and ridden 80-odd miles - so a decent ride for me on any normal day - and you look to your left and see in the distance Waddie Fell and, behind that, some distance away, the imposing hulk of Pendle Hill, and you realise that you have to ride over both fells and are only are HALF way round :shock: That's when it hits home what you're in for.

You could get a job at guantanamo bay - that sounds like proper torture. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • maddog 2
    I'm not selling it am I...
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    I'm not selling it am I...

Would love to do it, but am in C2C in a day the week before and maybe wpuld not be recovered. Might get to top of one of the local hills and give some encouragement

Next year maybe
  • maddog 2
    a week is plenty of time to recover - you'll be fit as a butcher's :wink: