Has there been a recent group brake test?

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello there, does anyone know of a recent group brake test?

There was a fairly comprehensive one a couple of years ago (IIRC by BR) both dry and wet performance.

I would be interested to see the likes of the latest Shimano models against the latest offers from Formula and Hope etc. I would be really interest if the test included the new Hope V4.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, last Autumn in MBUK.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    have a look at the below, it was a run down of some dyno test that BR did last year

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/fitness/ar ... kes-24345/
  • Levi_501
    Thanks, I knew there was one somewhere.

The test was doen prior to the release of the Hope V4; anyone tried this one?
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    I was under the impression that brakes was a no brainer these days since the release of the new shimano range...
    XT 785 if you can afford it...
    Deore 596 if you can't
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • The Rookie
    SLX for in between!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Zee if you want a downhill brake.
    Saint if you want a prettier downhill brake.
  • Or Formula......
  • The Rookie
    ....if you want lighter than XT and can afford the extra
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I'd still be interested to see a newer one as I assume that was the old Saint brake and there was no Zee or X0 Trail.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    dusk wrote:
    I'd still be interested to see a newer one as I assume that was the old Saint brake and there was no Zee or X0 Trail.

From experience all that can be said about X0 brakes is DON'T DO IT, JUST DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY My Scalp came with a set. They are light but performance is average and spares prices are rediculous, £200 for just just one lever assembly (compared to £150ish for a PAIR of XTR lever assemblies).
  • sofaboy73
    Or Formula......

The One gets my vote. XT if you're on a budget, but having used both, the Formulas are more powerful, better modulation and don't look like they came free in a packet of cereal.

lots more money though
  • Formula RX are more reasonable, can be had for £140 direct for their store in italy, inc discs + postage !
  • Levi_501
    I have both Formula The One and Hope V2 (OH has Shimano XT)

What despise about the Formula The One brakes, is the bleeding rigmarole. Take them off, hang them up, two syringes back and forth etc. But the bite on them is amazing.

As for the Hope, they are a doddle to bleed. Turn the level on the handle bars so the cap is flat, remove cap, bleed as if they were car brakes. Whilst they are excellent brakes, almost bomb proof, they just do not quite have that bite that the Formulas have.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Magura MT2 is a decent lightweight brake.
  • sofaboy73
    Levi_501 wrote:
    I
    What despise about the Formula The One brakes, is the bleeding rigmarole. Take them off, hang them up, two syringes back and forth etc. But the bite on them is amazing.

I agree the formulas are a bit of a faff to bleed (similar to avids), however as this is only a once a year job (and it also takes a few goes to get the nack of getting a good bleed on them) it's worth the effort for the better performamnce on every ride
  • In response to the original question, I see that WMB have one in their next issue.
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    I will be selling a pair of mint Formula Oro Biancos soon
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    dusk wrote:

From experience all that can be said about X0 brakes is DON'T DO IT, JUST DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY My Scalp came with a set. They are light but performance is average and spares prices are rediculous, £200 for just just one lever assembly (compared to £150ish for a PAIR of XTR lever assemblies).
    Too late, I've got X0's on my new bike and they seem alright so far and not particularly worse than my XT's. I just wondered whether the 4 pot caliper makes much difference.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite