Help Figuring Out New Commuter Bike

fearsomesteve
fearsomesteve Posts: 6
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
Hi guys,

My commute is lengthening in March from 6.5 miles each way to 15 miles each way across Central London and I'm looking for a new bike to replace my 2011 Specialized Crosstrail.

I want to go with a road bike to hopefully cut the time of the ride down (and I always wanted one.)

However I also want pannier(s) and full mudguards.

I'm looking to spend £750-£1000 on it. I don't think I'm after an out and out tourer, something in the middle. Anyone has any suggestions? I was thinking maybe a Trek 1.5? Oh and BTW I'm 6'4" and 17 stone so I need quite a robust bike!

Comments

• CX bike gets my vote. Clearance for full mudguards, bigger tyres (some up to 700x42), disc brakes, bosses for a rack etc.

Some to look at:
    Boardman CX
    Spesh Tricross
    Whyte Kings Cross
    Genesis (CdF, Vapour, Croix de Fer, Vapour Disc)

For the ultimate in low-maintenance how about Genesis Day one disc - comes with f/f hub (ie fixed/single speed)

The Croix de Fer and Vapour Disc might come in under budget if you can find a 2012 model

I've personally owned 3 of these bikes so if you have any questions then ask away!
    Roadie: Cannondale CAAD10
    Commuter/everything else: Custom build Genesis Croix de Fer
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I too would suggest a CX - make the best commuters - have a look over in commuting chat for Boardman/non Boardman threads.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Fatbirds are currently doing the Kinesis racelight T2 for £1k with guards fitted.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/809588/produc ... -blue.aspx
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Spesh Secteur?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I'm not sure about CX's -- I really want 700x25 or 23 tyres and a lighter frame.

I guess I'm looking for an Audax bike...
  • jowdak
    jowdak Posts: 47
    I do a 12 mile commute using a Trek Madone some of road mud\gravel no problem and so much quicker than anything else.