Cracked Frame

andymcm
andymcm Posts: 4
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Hello,

Any tips for dealing with manufacturers when it comes to cracked frame?

More specifically a 2009 Meta 5.5 Commencal?

Cheers

Andy.

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,155
    If you bought it from a bike shop then they're probably your first port of call. They will probably be able to find out who to speak to or send it to and will be quite helpful.

There should be some small print somewhere which says what the warranty covers and what invalidates it. Check you've not invalidated it by doing something obvious.

Sometimes they will ask for photos to be sent over so they can assess the damage and see if it needs to be sent back or if they'll just send you a new frame if the LBS inspects it. A LBS around here suggested removing any upgrades you've done to it (e.g. longer travel forks) in case the manufacturer says these invalidate the warranty.

If you've broken say the rear triangle, they might just replace the rear triangle.

They might also send you the current frame as a replacement rather than the same one as you have now. Watch out in case the frame geometry has changed - I know of someone who was sent a replacement Trek frame which was newer and designed for different travel forks, and putting the original forks back on would invalidate the warranty on the new frame :roll: (after a few weeks of emails Trek agreed to warrant it with the original forks).

Finally, it might take a few weeks until any replacement arrives.
  • As above.

When I got some cracks in my frame I took it back to the shop I bought it from. They took some photos and emailed them off to Specialized and then I went home. Got a call the next day telling me that spesh wanted a closer look, so I stripped the frame down and took it back to the shop. They took care of the rest, sent it back to spesh and a week or so later I got another call saying my frame was back and wanted collecting. I was a little disappointed as it was just out of the limited warranty and had had a lot of use so I figured that they'd decided it was just wear and that was that. Imagine my surprise when I get to the shop to find a brand new expert frame waiting for me!

Anyway, don't know what Commencal are like as far as service is concerned, but hopefully they'll be as good to you as spesh were to me. Nip it back to the shop (or take some pics and email them if you got it online) and they should guide you the rest of the way.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Wouldn't a 2009 frame be out of warranty? The thing that put me off buying a commencal was their ultra short warranties (6 months on the Supreme DH!). Some manufacturers do crash replacement frames which come without shocks and are a lot cheaper than buying a frame from a shop.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    My Ramones started to crack in October but it was still under warranty. I took it back to the lbs and Commencal were fine about it and replaced it without any hassles. The only delay was a mix-up with Decade (the importers) they filled in the wrong form or something

If your lbs wont or cant help, fire off an email to warranty@commencal.com I found them very helpful

Good luck
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    My mate's super 4 was on its 3rd owner and over 2 years old, they still gave him a new rear end when it developed a hairline crack. All they asked for was photo's.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Lots of problems with commencal frames around that era IIRC. I know for sure of at least 1 bike shop that was selling them off super cheap on the understanding that they had no warranty.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sale of goods act still applies, whether sold with no warranty or out of warranty.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • buy giant
    lifetime warranty with original owner
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I've had 3 Commencals... i only bought 1... :(
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Commencal have got a pretty good rep for actually handling replacements- I think they had a lot of practice tbh! But also realised you can get away with a reputation for unreliability, but only if you deal with it well when it happens (like Hope).
    Sale of goods act still applies, whether sold with no warranty or out of warranty.

Yup, but 3 years on good luck with that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    It depends what is held to be reasonable, it has been upheld as applying at 6 years to certain items, if an item is sold as being expected to last 10 years, then the act would apply for 10 years.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    But it won't, for a bike frame. And SOGA or not there's still the reality that things can break due to circumstances outwith their design parameters, failing doesn't make it unfit for purpose, 3 years is a long time in the life of a bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    Read SoGA, it depends what is held to be reasonable, as only one of the frames at home is younger than 4 years old and the three main MTB's are all 2006 frames, I would say 5 years at least is reasonable (clearly amount of usage has a part to play)
  • Northwind
    5 years is a realistic lifespan for an mtb frame even if it's used a lot but it's also perfectly reasonable for them to fail earlier if used properly. As I say- best of luck trying to argue unfit for purpose for a 3 year old bike, I bet a shiny scottish pound you get nowhere at all.
    Uncompromising extremist