Counterfeit items on ebay.

vortice
vortice Posts: 244
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Is everyone else fed up that there are so many counterfeit items on ebay?

These bars, stems, frames, seatposts are illegal, potentially dangerous and deny the genuine manufacturer (who has put the money into R&D) of sales.

Can I ask that if you suspect an item on ebay of being a fake, that you report it? The more reports ebay get, the more likely they are to act.

Use this link.... http://ocs.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0an%20item

Comments

• dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Can you point us to some of these counterfeit items, I have never come across any, but would like educating.
  • vortice
    Just go on ebay and type in 3T ergosum Ltd. Any of these bars listed as new for less than £200 are suspicious. Often there are give away signs, like weight being heavier than the genuine item. Sometimes the seller admits they are counterfeit. Check out the listings for FSA plasma bars. There is one for sale that the owner admits is fake.

Check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12899868
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    dwanes wrote:
    Can you point us to some of these counterfeit items, I have never come across any, but would like educating.

LOL are you joking ?

Most if not all branded parts which are usually way too cheap are more than likely moody.

You have been warned.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    dwanes wrote:

LOL are you joking ?

Most if not all branded parts which are usually way too cheap are more than likely moody.

You have been warned.

If it seems too cheap then don't buy it. Whats the problem?

Buy from somewhere Reputable, or UK store, with a good returns policy. Whats the problem?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dwanes wrote:
    dwanes wrote:

LOL are you joking ?

You have been warned.

Buy from somewhere Reputable, or UK store, with a good returns policy. Whats the problem?

To some extent, this. However, the trouble with fakes is that they end up on the second hand market. Anyone who buys a new Ergosum for half the retail price ought to at least have checked the returns policy - but at least you knew where it came from in the first place. The problem is when you buy second hand - this could really stuff up the second hand market. Personally, I never sell anything but plenty do and plenty like to buy second hand as well. It's a shame if that legitimate business gets ruined by tricksters.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • vortice
    Rolf F wrote:
    dwanes wrote:
    dwanes wrote:

LOL are you joking ?

You have been warned.

To some extent, this. However, the trouble with fakes is that they end up on the second hand market. Anyone who buys a new Ergosum for half the retail price ought to at least have checked the returns policy - but at least you knew where it came from in the first place. The problem is when you buy second hand - this could really stuff up the second hand market. Personally, I never sell anything but plenty do and plenty like to buy second hand as well. It's a shame if that legitimate business gets ruined by tricksters.

Exactly. I was about to buy a second hand but "as new" Ergosum from a seller off ebay - even sent a few emails backwards and forwards. Just before bidding I thought I'd check his feedback. Considering he said he was upgrading his bars (hence the sale of the Ergosum) I was surprised to find he'd sold several other ergosums and had used the same excuse of upgrading! The weight he says these bars are means that they aren't genuine.