Waterproof trousers for a long legged lady

Obeide
Obeide Posts: 2
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
Can anyone advise me on a pair of waterproof trousers that might fit me? I'm 6ft and most ladies trousers are a good few inches too short. Do a pair exist that have long legs? I will be starting to commute on my bike and a pair of waterproofs is a must.

Cheers

Comments

• alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    Are they for wearing over your normal trousers, or are you looking for something to complement cycling clothes? The only waterproof ones I know of are Assos Sturmnuss but the Assos site doesn't seem to give sizing information. They are also likely to cost a fortune. You may be better going for some hiking gear if it is for wearing over other clothes, or wearing gaiters to accommodate the lack of length. Some cycling overshoes may be suitable for that too.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    There's a pair of Sturmnuss (or whatever they're called) in the classified - RRP is £320 or so!

Just buy a pair of gent's trousers in long- you'll be fine.
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    As asked above, “Are they for wearing over your normal trousers, or are you looking for something to complement cycling clothes? “

If they are only going to be used as an emergency then consider getting a pair of cheap hiking water resistant trousers and washing them with waterproof tech wash, like Nikwax (it can/ should also be used with any other water proof clothes you have).

They are cheap, pack down small so you can carry it with you to say work and back, and are really waterproof. The problem with them is that they are a little ‘boil in the bag’ so if you are a ‘fast’ commuter then they will be uncomfortable (though in really cold weather work well to keep you warm). They are a bit flappy too, so again not suited for time trials. Also, you will need an ankle clip/band, otherwise they will get caught in the chainring. Lastly, they are not the coolest (in a fashion sense), but then, as said they do a very good job in keeping you dry.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Obeide wrote:
    Can anyone advise me on a pair of waterproof trousers that might fit me? I'm 6ft and most ladies trousers are a good few inches too short. Do a pair exist that have long legs? I will be starting to commute on my bike and a pair of waterproofs is a must.

Cheers

Skin is pretty waterproof and anything that claimes to be waterproof will only mean you will get wet from the inside (sweat) unless your willing to pay really silly money dont bother.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    If it's for wearing next to the skin (as in you're not wearing anything underneith them) consider a pair of thermal running tights. Not exactly waterproof, but they'll keep you feeling warm and you can wear any padded shorts you have over them (if you use padded shorts, that is).

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    You don't need waterproofs unless you intend on not getting changed when you get to your destination.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    InkZ wrote:
    You don't need waterproofs unless you intend on not getting changed when you get to your destination.

this buy some winter tights and change when you get to the other end. even if its wet you'll be warm and if it only rainsa bit they shed a shower quite well.

Anything actually waterproof will make you sweat like something you dont want to sweat like.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708