Surly Pacer Noob Build Woes

iclickhappy
iclickhappy Posts: 8
edited February 2013 in Workshop
So I saw a Surly Pacer in my LBS, the bike looked awesome but the component choice was not what I would have fitted if I had my way, skip forward and after some slightly drunk internet shopping I ended up buying the frame, as Ultegra WH-6600 wheel set, a Tiagra groupset, crank bros headset, bars, stem etc.

All Items have arrived and I start attempting to put it all together. Using a piece of threaded bar I tried to seat the headset, quickly giving up as I couldn't get them to go in straight deciding that I should take it to the shop to have it fitted but at least I could get the rest of the parts fitted. The bottom bracket was easy as were the brake callipers although I realised that they would not reach to the rims.

Next came fitting the cassette, but it doesn't fit, the splines line up and the cassette pushes in a little but then stops. Is the 10 speed Tiagra cassette really not compatible with the Ultegra WH-6600 Hub?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    correct the free body is 10spd body only so will not work with your tiagra cassette as it will fit on 8/9/10spd bodies

also as the BB is external bearings you have got the LBS to face the BB shell?

and when fitting headset cups you should do it one at a time then it is more likely they will go in straight.

so New cassette. get the BB removed and the shell faced. brakes? not my thing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I asked the LBS (who ended up supplying the frame) about facing and they informed me it wasn't necessary.
    The Tiagra cassette is 10spd.

Thanks for the headset advice, that sounds much easier.
  • nicklouse
    I asked the LBS (who ended up supplying the frame) about facing and they informed me it wasn't necessary.
    The Tiagra cassette is 10spd.

Thanks for the headset advice, that sounds much easier.

they are just waiting for you to need new bearings. if it has not been done get it checked can you see the tool marks on it?
    I have done many new frames that were out.
    and many frames that came back with worn bearings too soon.

yes it is 10spd but it is not compatible with the 10spd only bodies. as it has the short splines as found on the 8/9/10 speed bodies.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Thanks, I shall get it checked.

Ultegra cassette it is then (yet more expense)
  • I think that the LBS may be correct in saying that the Surly frame need not need the BB shell faced. I've built a few Surly frames up now and they seem to come with the BB already faced and Headtube reamed and faced.
  • Thats good news, thanks
  • Bought the Ultegra cassette and it fits just fine, thanks nicklouse
  • Glad you got it sorted mate.

Maybe Nick could clarify on the 10s Tiagra cassette not fitting? I would have thought if it was a 10s cassette then it should fit on a 10s free body, no? This is purely for info as I'm a bit confused as to why it doesn't fit.
  • nicklouse
    Glad you got it sorted mate.

Maybe Nick could clarify on the 10s Tiagra cassette not fitting? I would have thought if it was a 10s cassette then it should fit on a 10s free body, no? This is purely for info as I'm a bit confused as to why it doesn't fit.
    the splines are the same as the 8/9 spd hubs. 10SPD only has taller splines on the body as they tend to be alloy rather than steel. you have 2 bodies, the 8/9/10 spd compatible and the 10spd only 10Spd only hubs are not compatible with the 8/9/10spd cassettes.

it is simple but poorly labelled.
  • Thanks for that. Will make it easier to look out for in the future.