K-Force light crankset under £200 on CRC

Gabbo
Gabbo Posts: 864
edited January 2013 in Road general
Just thought I'd tell all fellow bikeradar users of this.

Use to be £650 now reduced to under £200 depending on bottom bracket or something like that.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... t+crankset

Comments

• antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    Picked one up last week in 53/39 for my Venge. :) Includes ceramic bearings. Bargain.
  • llen
    llen Posts: 65
    Apologies for what may be a stupid question, but this deal looks too good to pass up. I have a 2010 wilier mortirolo with a campag veloce groupset. Are any of these crankset options applicable to my bike and if so which one?

Many thanks in advance
    Llen
  • The Mega Exo double or compact 10-speed will be fine.
  • jason78
    jason78 Posts: 158
    I'm currently using 53/39 sram force crankset. Would this be classed as a worthy upgrade to what I've got already!
    Pretty new to all this upgrading lark lol
    2010 Cboardman carbon pro--- gone to pastures new
    Ribble Addax winter with sram force
    2012 Scott Cr1 SL ----in process of being built 2018 MOVED ON
    Stork Visioner ---Current steed
  • Gabbo
    jason78 wrote:
    I'm currently using 53/39 sram force crankset. Would this be classed as a worthy upgrade to what I've got already!
    Pretty new to all this upgrading lark lol

Hmm, I'd say no.. but a purchase wouldn't go amiss. Could use it a few months down the line or for a different bike
  • jason78
    Thanks for the reply Gabbo,looking at the different cranks Would this be what i need u think

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=68989
  • Gabbo
    jason78 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Gabbo,looking at the different cranks Would this be what i need u think

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=68989

What bike do you have?
  • jason78
    Sorry its a 2010 Boardman carbon pro
  • Gabbo
    jason78 wrote:
    Sorry its a 2010 Boardman carbon pro

Hmm I wouldn't know. May depend on bottom bracket but I'm not quite sure. Hopefully someone else will give a better answer
  • llen
    llen Posts: 65
    Thanks thegreatdivide
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Same question here.

I picked up a 2nd hand 2010 Kuota Kebel just after Christmas, it isn't the BB30 version and is currently fitted with a standard double Ultegra crankset. I'd love to change to a compact but I don't have a clue which one would be compatible. Any advice would be much appreciated....
  • The Kuota should have a 68mm bottom bracket so the Mega Exo compact 10-speed will fit.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/technology/3/MegaExo

Edit - I think they're all out of the 'chainsets' i.e. you get the Mega Exo bottom bracket included - they only have the crankset, so you'll need to buy a Mega Exo bottom bracket. Although I might be getting this mixed up... :?

This is the last one with compact rings btw

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=90264
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    The Kuota should have a 68mm bottom bracket so the Mega Exo compact 10-speed will fit.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/technology/3/MegaExo

Edit - I think they're all out of the 'chainsets' i.e. you get the Mega Exo bottom bracket included - they only have the crankset, so you'll need to buy a Mega Exo bottom bracket. Although I might be getting this mixed up... :?

This is the last one with compact rings btw

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=90264

Thankyou for your help
  • Gabbo
    Just weighed my double crankset. It is approximately 630g including the bearings
  • Gabbo wrote:
    Just weighed my double crankset. It is approximately 630g including the bearings

You can drill a few holes in the large chainring and bring it down... I have a few drilled chainrings... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I know it's heavily discounted and all, but it's a still a rather meh looking FSA chainset. I've never liked the black rings with silver teeth look.
  • i currently have a felt road bike and am in the process of upgrading the groupset buying bits
    and pieces as i see them discounted online. I was going to buy the ultegra 6700 compact
    crankset for around £170.00.
    Can any 1 tell me if this would be a better buy and which 1 would fit my felt if so??
    thanks very much.
  • catchingup wrote:
    i currently have a felt road bike and am in the process of upgrading the groupset buying bits
    and pieces as i see them discounted online. I was going to buy the ultegra 6700 compact
    Can any 1 tell me if this would be a better buy and which 1 would fit my felt if so??
    thanks very much.

Chainsets are pretty much all the same... there is no significant difference between a 50 pounds one and a 500 pounds one, if not for the unnecessary use of fancy materials to reduce the weight by 100-200 grams, which is rather insignificant.
    The FSA has ceramic bearings, which might be an upgrade if they are full zirconia ones, if they are simply silicon nitride balls, they are actually a downgrade from good stainless steel ones.
    It is one of the very last bits of a bike I would bother to upgrade, as there is practically no advantage whatsoever in throwing money at it...
  • ok thanks very much for that.
    would you recomend i just keep the tiagra one have then?
  • catchingup wrote:
    ok thanks very much for that.
    would you recomend i just keep the tiagra one have then?

Absolutely...
  • Gabbo
    catchingup wrote:
    i currently have a felt road bike and am in the process of upgrading the groupset buying bits
    thanks very much.

Chainsets are pretty much all the same... there is no significant difference between a 50 pounds one and a 500 pounds one, if not for the unnecessary use of fancy materials to reduce the weight by 100-200 grams, which is rather insignificant.
    The FSA has ceramic bearings, which might be an upgrade if they are full zirconia ones, if they are simply silicon nitride balls, they are actually a downgrade from good stainless steel ones.
    It is one of the very last bits of a bike I would bother to upgrade, as there is practically no advantage whatsoever in throwing money at it...

I'm a tart though! Though I don't wear Assos... or Castelli :lol:
  • Gabbo wrote:
    catchingup wrote:
    thanks very much.

I'm a tart though! Though I don't wear Assos... or Castelli :lol:

Assos makes very decent clothing and clothing is one of the few areas where improvement has been real and tangible over the years, unlike in bicycle components, so generally speaking money spent on clothing is better spent than for components... :wink:
  • mkviken
    mkviken Posts: 217
    i bought this crank at christmas time and had an extra 20% discount code so got an ultegra chain too

a real bargain. really nice piece of kit and really light.

i havent fitted yet but will be fitting it ready for the spring.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I bought the 175mm megaexo compact from them last week; titanium spindle and ceramic bb included for £180. 656g on my kitchen scales for the whole kit & caboodle - compared to 820g for the Energy crankset it replaced.