crank arm help

GJC
GJC Posts: 198
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi need help just sheared grip (for axle) in left hand crank arm due to retaining plastic bolt fell out felt lateral movement but damage was done. I want order a new crank arm the measurement from pedal to hole is 170mm would i assume this maybe the crank arm length?

Many thanks GJC
Lapierre Spicy 316 2011

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Centre to centre.
    What cranks are retained by a plastic bolt?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hylol
    Hylol Posts: 11
    That's correct. You measure crank arm length from center mounting hole for spindle to center mounting hole for the pedal.

If you're in doubt at all, remove the right hand pedal and measure that crank arm.

Detailed drawing (courtesy of SRM): http://mywheelsandmore.com/Images/bicycleParts/chainset/Bike-Crank-Arm-length-Determination.jpg
  • GJC
    sorry not plastic bolt just plastic retaining screw on shimano slx crank, thanks for the replys just noticed its says the length on the inside of crank arm.

Many Thanks GJC
    Lapierre Spicy 316 2011
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the preload bolt? just order a new one.

or are you on about the 2 clamping bolts?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    Once the pinch bolts are tightened the preload bolt won't make any diiference if it loosens.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But it shouldn't move if the pinch bolts are done up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • GJC
    Thanks for the replies, the preload bolt wont stay in, it makes its way loose and the teeth inside the crank that slides on to the axle is sheared, when preload bolt tighten and pinch bolts tightened there is lateral movement

many thanks GJC
    Lapierre Spicy 316 2011
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so get a new preload bolt.

or your bearings are dead.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you enough spacers? Withe the preload tightened there should be no lateral movement, either it's bottoming on something and not pulling the NDS arm in, or your bearings are too close together.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • GJC
    Thanks once again for the replys, the only way to fix it is buy left hand crank arm. sorry for the confusion in the crank arm the groves that slide on the axle, these are sheared. no grooves, just smooth so crank cant grip to turn axle when pedalling.

Many thanks Glenn
    Lapierre Spicy 316 2011
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd buy a whole new crankset, it'll workout better value.