Tool to tighten cassette

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
edited January 2013 in Workshop
Are there cheap options?

Having had evans cycles price match wiggle for one at £20 for a cassette I need , as they are local I then asked can you tighten it up for me. Yes but minimum labour £11.50
Come on its just to tighten it up!

So now looking to possibly purchase at wiggle and get a tool to do it myself but don't want to spend much, options?
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-Lockr ... 689&sr=8-2

This is pretty much all you need plus an adjustable wrench if you have one.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

I wouldn't recommend the Park one. I bought one recently as I thought it would be more durable than the cheap one I had before. It wasn't. It was as soft as the cheap ones but the design was worse and it failed on first use. The cheap one had a square slot in the back to fit a socket - the Park one has a similarly sized hole - but it's round! :roll:

My LBS confirmed that the Park stuff is a bit over-rated and recommended Tacx but I've not investigated those yet.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Just google the one that you need and note where its from when it flashes up. Then do a search for any discount codes. Or borrow one. Or steal one. Or make one. Or buy a new bike with a cassette that isn't loose.
  • rolf_f
    And if you haven't got the old cassette off, then you'll need a chainwhip as well.
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    try another LBS that will probably do it for you for free...these sort of work takes literally seconds.
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    ricky1980 wrote:
    try another LBS that will probably do it for you for free...these sort of work takes literally seconds.

I know, having watched you tube clip. It's literally just fitting as got a spare wheel with hub.
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    My friendly LBS was asking £5 which is reasonable, don't see why they should do it for free.
    But instead of that, I bought the required tools off him and for Free got him to teach me how to do it correctly whilst changing it in the process. At least i've now got the tools and knowledge to do it in future.

I have found the scruffier the shop, the more friendly and accommodating they tend to be on issues like this, so shop around.
  • smoggysteve
    Rolf F wrote:

I wouldn't recommend the Park one. I bought one recently as I thought it would be more durable than the cheap one I had before. It wasn't. It was as soft as the cheap ones but the design was worse and it failed on first use. The cheap one had a square slot in the back to fit a socket - the Park one has a similarly sized hole - but it's round! :roll:

My LBS confirmed that the Park stuff is a bit over-rated and recommended Tacx but I've not investigated those yet.

Never had a problem with park tools, Surprised your failed to soon. I did prefer to have an all in one wrench before I saw the light and moved to Campagnolo. Still both have served me well when serving friends bikes.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

Never had a problem with park tools, Surprised your failed to soon. I did prefer to have an all in one wrench before I saw the light and moved to Campagnolo. Still both have served me well when serving friends bikes.

So was I - and disappointed. Other Park stuff has been fine but this one was no better than the Lifu one I'd broken before - except worse as I said due to the pointlessly poor design. It didn't seem to be any more accurately machined either (so unneccessarily slack in the slots) and the LBS reckoned it wasn't partcularly tight (I torque to 50nm but had left the cassette on for a year or so though little use from the bike).

I think Park stuff is OK but it isn't the bike equivalent of Snap On by any stretch!
  • smoggysteve
    Snap-on, wish they made bike tools. life time guarantee on all parts. Shame they were so damn expensive in the first place. Still, I guess I will have to avoid that socket, Seems such a shame that the simplest of tools could be so badly made.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just make sure you get one with a squared aperture that will take a 1/4inch socket set drive bar. This will give you a much more secure basis to apply any force when removing an old lockring that may be seized. The open ended spanner option is just too risky IMHO.

Also if you can get one like this:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10183

the addition of the central spindle also helps to locate and stabilise the tool when you are applying pressure to it in loosening or tightening mode.
  • smoggysteve
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BBB-Lock-Casset ... 367&sr=8-1

I prefer these type now as they have a ratchet built into it. Not necessarily this brand.
  • rolf_f
    arlowood wrote:
    Just make sure you get one with a squared aperture that will take a 1/4inch socket set drive bar. This will give you a much more secure basis to apply any force when removing an old lockring that may be seized. The open ended spanner option is just too risky IMHO.

Also if you can get one like this:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10183

the addition of the central spindle also helps to locate and stabilise the tool when you are applying pressure to it in loosening or tightening mode.

This is exactly like the old 'cheapo' one was and exactly how the Park one wasn't - both in terms of the spindle and aperture.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    my Parktools one and shimano one must be 6 and 12 years old respectivly and both still work as well as they did when new.

do have a cheap one as well due to the need to fit disc brakes which the others dont do on some hubs. but that does not get used much.

the spindle is great ubtill you get a hub that it does not work with.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Don't buy a Tacx cassette tool - just got a refund through for the one that disintegarted on the first turn! It looks like it's made from tin foil.

The BBB one is a solid wee bugg3r.
  • rolf_f
    Don't buy a Tacx cassette tool - just got a refund through for the one that disintegarted on the first turn! It looks like it's made from tin foil.

The BBB one is a solid wee bugg3r.

Could be a good call taa! I've never yet regretted a BBB purchase.