Wheelbags / complete set of bags for 29er

solitone
solitone Posts: 43
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm after a couple of bags for my 29" wheels, having enough room for transporting them with tyres mounted and inflated (29 x 2.35" tyres).

I've read some people chose the MTB Wheelbag by Mavic.

But I've seen the set Brand-X Complete Bike & Wheel Bags, which has very positive comments, and it sells for slightly higher than two wheelbags.

Has anyone tried it to transport 29ers? Are the included wheelbags large enough for 29" wheels with tyres on?

Comments

• pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I have the chain reaction version, not sure its the same...? The wheelbags dont fit 29er wheels with mtb tyres on, you may squeeze a set with cross tyres on though. I have the mavic wheel bags, which are pretty good to be honest.

I've done 2 trips using the bike bag with the mavic wheel bags - it's tight! I have a Titus Rockstar (small) the frame goes in no prob - its the wheels that cause the problem, you need to partially deflate the tyres to be able to zip the bag closed... even then its pretty snug in there, height-wise
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Yes, probably the CRC version was the same--it's not available any longer.

But are your Mavic wheelbags the squared ones that I linked in my previous post? Although Mavic don't specify their dimensions, they say that these wheelbags fit 29" wheels with tyres on.

Some people have posted the Mavic MTB wheelset dimensions are 32 x 33 inches (81 x 84 cm). What are your dimensions?
  • pilch
    i'll check the dims tomorrow mine fit with Hans Dampf 2.35's no probs - and they come up pretty big

29er race

29er bouncer
  • pilch
    They are square, same as in the pic... stuck a ruler on them and they are around 84/85 cmsq, not padded as such but quite heavyweight material and the square ends fold over for a bit of extra padding.

Done 2 trips now with them 1 of which was long haul with a stop, so 2 lots of handling, no probs with the wheels... the bike bag itself is pretty shagged now after 4 trips though :shock:

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Thanks for your feedback!

I didn't understand your first message, though. When you say that "you need to partially deflate the tyres to be able to zip the bag closed", are you referring to the Mavic wheel bags?

Because at 80+ cm I would say you could easily fit a 29" wheel with inflated tyres on, couldn't you?
  • pilch
    solitone wrote:
    Thanks for your feedback!

I didn't understand your first message, though. When you say that "you need to partially deflate the tyres to be able to zip the bag closed", are you referring to the Mavic wheel bags?

Because at 80+ cm I would say you could easily fit a 29" wheel with inflated tyres on, couldn't you?

Sorry! I didn't explain myself very well - I meant the CR bag, the wheels with inflated tyres fit in the mavic bags no problem at all... but you will need to deflate them to fit (the wheel bags) in the bike bag itself (assuming the Brand X bag is the same as the CR one) otherwise they are too tall and push the zip apart.

29er race

29er bouncer
  • OK, thanks.

I'll probably just get the Mavic wheel bags for the time being.