Getting to a sportive by train

bartsy
bartsy Posts: 4
... is it easy? I'm interested in either the Isle of Wight or Sussex (the Long One), both organised by Wiggle. Both seem to start close to BR stations.

However, is it easy getting on a train in the morning with a roadbike? If I want to take a shower or get a massage afterwards, where would I leave the bike safely? Also what about leaving a backpack for the duration of the ride?

My car is on the other side of the Atlantic (so am I at the moment).

I suppose there's lots of cyclists from London who make do without a car and can advise.

Thanks!

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    In my experience it's less a problem getting a bike on the train as it is getting to the start on time. With Sunday service it's not uncommon for the earliest train to get you to your destination after the latest start time.

For instance the earliest train from Waterloo to the New Forest gets there around 9.55. Make sure you check train times before you book anything.
  • bartsy
    bartsy Posts: 4
    Good point thanks - a Saturday looks like a safer bet (2 earlier trains to Ashurst)
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    head down the night before and get yourself a B&B. They'll then presumably hang onto a rucksack for you whilst you do the ride and maybe even shower and chage afterwards if you sweet talk them over a hearty breakfast.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • we are doing the Isle of white http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events ... -sportive/ If you like you could leave your bag in my van during ride and lock bikes up with ours to shower/eat etc: . Just an idea :idea: if you have no luck with any thing else. we will be driving down in the morning of the ride.
    Neil
  • neilg7777 wrote:
    we are doing the Isle of white http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events ... -sportive/ If you like you could leave your bag in my van during ride and lock bikes up with ours to shower/eat etc: . Just an idea :idea: if you have no luck with any thing else. we will be driving down in the morning of the ride.
    Neil

Cheers Neil, I'll keep that in mind.