Boardman FS pro or Ghost RT Actinum 7500

monlet
monlet Posts: 6
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Peoples, help me out here...

I am tossing up between two bikes...

Boardman FS pro @ £1299 http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/fs_pro.html

OR

Ghost RT Actinum 7500 @ £1262 (reduced from £2299.99) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55732

Really can't decide, any thoughts or opinions would be helpful.

Cheers.

Comments

• MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    The ghost is only available in 44cm....... If your not a snob... And don't mind the reputation of halfords sold bikes, I'd go for the board man..... Great spec for price
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Boardman all day long.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Ghost is much better specced than the Boardman. Only good if it's the right size
  • Don't think you can buy the boardman fs pro any more.It has not been available for a few months now.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    The Ghost is much better specced than the Boardman. Only good if it's the right size

Deary me, just checked it, and you are correct.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    Better forks on the boardman is it not.....plus alot more travel...100mm ghost -130mm boardman
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not better forks, just different. Longer travel isn't nesecarilly better either. Different bikes for different purposes.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    hainman wrote:
    plus alot more travel...100mm ghost -130mm boardman

What's that got to do with anything.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Ghost wasn't worth the asking price originally, but at the current price is well worth a look. It is a little racier than the Boardman though, with steeper angles, though much of that is due to the longer fork.

Spec wise the Ghost has the better rear shock and groupset, but the Boardman isn't far behind with the X9 (money wise), and does have a slightly better fork in the Rev RLT.

I'd go and see the Boardman in the flesh and see how you get on.
  • hainman
    @briggo will 30mm extra travel not make the bikes ride or feel different??
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • rockmonkeysc
    hainman wrote:

Different isn't always better though.
  • MTBUK wrote:
    The ghost is only available in 44cm....... If your not a snob... And don't mind the reputation of halfords sold bikes, I'd go for the board man..... Great spec for price

Not fused about Halfords I will just make sure I pull it to pieces and put it back together properly :wink:
    I had a boardman HT Pro previously which unfortunately got stolen! It was a great set up and never let me down.

I'm 5' 8", do you think the Ghost will be to big for me? Really would love to take one out for a spin but can't find a stockist nearby.
  • Don't think you can buy the boardman fs pro any more.It has not been available for a few months now.

My local Halfords has pretty much got the last one in the country! They got it from head office and it is winging it's way to my local store. As soon as it's in I am going to take it for a spin. :D
  • Gents,

Many thx for your help and opinions. I will of course le you know the outcome as soon as I have ridden the Boardman!

In the meantime if any of you can suggest any gems that I may have not looked at yet, do let me know.

Cheers
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    hainman wrote:

Your statement implied its better you were stating why the boardman might be better. The bike will feel different of course, but it all depends on what you want to ride and how you ride.

More doesnt mean better.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Briggo wrote:
    hainman wrote:

Your statement implied its better you were stating why the boardman might be better. The bike will feel different of course, but it all depends on what you want to ride and how you ride.

More doesnt mean better.
    It is, really.
    She just tells you that to make you feel better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    Ive had the boardman and a few ghosts. Id get the Ghost as theres just something about them, they are great all round bikes. Have you considered the 2011 RT 5700 lector? its only £1100 at CR. Ive had the 2012 RT 5700 Alloy and was amazed at how well it did on 100mm of travel. Even coming down the side of Teggs nose in Macclesfield forest which is very very rough I didnt feel I needed more travel.
  • hainman
    I was going on what i have been advised on,on this very forum that revs are better than reba's.....obviously i was mis-informed..........
    I know that it depends on what you want to ride but would it not make more sense inn going for the longer travel(better) forks...give you a greater variety of riding then....
    Then again im no expert,just MY opinion....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    To be honest they are both good bikes so just pick which you prefer the look of.
  • rockmonkeysc
    hainman wrote:
    I was going on what i have been advised on,on this very forum that revs are better than reba's.....obviously i was mis-informed..
    Rev's are different to Reba's.
    Reba's are a short travel, light weight XC fork. Revs are a longer travel all mountain /trail fork. You can't say one is better or worse than the other.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Rev on this bike IS better - it gets dual flow rebound which makes a difference over repeated large hits. Same weight as the Reba too.