Advice on having fun in the woods

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited February 2013 in MTB beginners
So: I confess, I'm a (fat, slow) roadie, but got 2 kids (7 yo twins) about to get their first bikes. So Mrs SecretSam and I need 'proper' MTBs, to replace frankly unsuitable hybrids for fun in the local woods with the kids - it's a Forestry Commission place so lots of trails, etc.

Anyway, Mrs SecretSam is not keen on spending too much dosh, and there are many, many sales on now, so need advice on:
1) Good bike for Mrs SS, not a confident rider and unlikely to go mad off road
2) Bike for me - far more confident and more likely to go nuts off road, especially with my boy SecretSam Jnr
3) Sizing advice for me - 5'8" but ickle legs, understand road sizing but MTB sizing is a dark art...

Constraints: Budget likely to be a maximum of £500 for me and c.£300-400 is all I can see herself authorising for her little runabout

Ta in advance, sorry if this is the 1,000,000th post of this kind - do I win a prize if it is????

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
  • For that budget is the usual suspects

The decathlon rockrider 8.1 for you and the 5.3 for her.
  • Sizing most likely small to medium. You need to sit on em really.
  • http://m.evanscycles.com/products/pinna ... e-ec035897

Have a look at this for yourself nice little bike

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/pinna ... e-ec035898

Or this if you can spend the extra cash. It has a half decent fork on it and they both have 120 travel for if you to go crazy
    Genesis Core 30 2011
    BMC Trailfox TF02 2011
  • secretsam
    Well, after some trawling I think I'm going to get a Voodoo Hoodoo, stupid name but good bike for £450 and a nice colour :roll:

As for Mrs SecretSam, not so sure, she got a shock when I suggested even spending £450, which to me isn't that much money for a bike :lol: - besides, although I'm likely to flail around off road on mine, she's more likely to be gentle with it. Any suggestions?

If anyone's interested, I'm going to have to flog my old Sirrus to make room for the new arrival.

• secretsam
    For that budget is the usual suspects

Trouble is, nearest Decathlon is a trillion miles away, and don't really want to be fiddling with it if it's not 100%

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    For that budget is the usual suspects

yup.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Well, after some trawling I think I'm going to get a Voodoo Hoodoo, stupid name but good bike for £450 and a nice colour :roll:

As for Mrs SecretSam, not so sure, she got a shock when I suggested even spending £450, which to me isn't that much money for a bike :lol: - besides, although I'm likely to flail around off road on mine, she's more likely to be gentle with it. Any suggestions?

If anyone's interested, I'm going to have to flog my old Sirrus to make room for the new arrival.

The voodoo is nice and will do you well. Shame you cant get to Decathlon. I saw the rockriders in the flesh for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was impressed how they are put together. Good builds for the money.

If you are going to halfords check out the carerras for your wife. You could always put some cx tyres in the sirrus if it fits her and use that. Will be fine for riding with the kids.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Halfrods do a couple of ladies carrera MTB's, the vulcan (mens) gets good reviews.....

My Wifes bike I built myself, new frame and forks, rest from a used donor bike, cost me £56 in total.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    Highly recommend the Spesh Myka. My daughter has one and while it may not be the best in terms of spec, the frame is good, the forks are designed for lighter weights and the bike is light. That will make her enjoy it and realise its worth spending more that v.basic cheap.
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Might be a little over your budget but, check out Cube's range. Last years models are reduced on bike-discount.de at the moment and the whole range is well spec'd for the money.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1766/ ... 226&cr=GBP

the WLS models are the womens bikes.
  • secretsam
    Well, in the end I went for a Voodoo Hoodoo Doodoo in size Small, as I've only got ickle legs

Picked it up today and immediately took it out and got it dirty

Total bargain as I got it online with a 10% discount = £410 :D

Excellent timing as well, as today's my birthday!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Belated happy birthday....muddy pics in a thread on the YMB forum please!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.