New Router Advice

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
You guys seem knowledgeable in pretty much every subject so....

I'm looking for a new router to replace the D-Link DLS 2780 router supplied by talk talk. Nothing really wrong with the router except I don't like it so I want a new one (and I'm hoping a new router will fix the wi-fi problems my new google nexus is having :().

I'd like to get a router that is 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz because of the aforementioned new phone. Not sure what else I should be looking for though :/

Anyone got any recommendations?

Comments

• Netgear WNDR3800 or WNDR4000. Rock solid, dual band.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    suzyb wrote:
    You guys seem knowledgeable in pretty much every subject so....

I'm looking for a new router to replace the D-Link DLS 2780 router supplied by talk talk. Nothing really wrong with the router except I don't like it so I want a new one (and I'm hoping a new router will fix the wi-fi problems my new google nexus is having :().

I'd like to get a router that is 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz because of the aforementioned new phone. Not sure what else I should be looking for though :/

Anyone got any recommendations?
    675px-Wood_router_jmc_2005_03_12.jpg
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • +1 for NetGear - choose one that has the price/features you want. I have the WNDR3300 connected to my Sky router via powerline adapters to ensure I get coverage throughout the house.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    The one pictured above looks like an expensive piece of kit- unless you're pretty serious an Erbauer 1/2" collet one from Screwfix will probably do if you need power, otherwise a decent 1/4" collet one from Bosch or Makita will be fine.

On a more serious note, I've been using Netgears for a while with few problems- recently put in a signal booster so we can stream video upstairs, too, and it seems to work pretty well.

Cheers,
    W.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My parents' Talk Talk router is a piece of sh!t. Must remember to take something else with me next time I go.

Am I right in thinking you basically HAVE to use your provider's router to connect to their network? Then you just connect that to your own router?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

Am I right in thinking you basically HAVE to use your provider's router to connect to their network? Then you just connect that to your own router?

nope

all you need is username an password, well depending on if you are using ADSL or Cable

ADSL is username an password

Virgin is normally plug an play (with a bit of Mac cloning)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    mudcow007 wrote:

nope

all you need is username an password, well depending on if you are using ADSL or Cable

Hmmm - so my BT router I just plug in a fire it up. I need it's specific p/w (printed on it) to access it but I don't need a p/w to access the BT system (that I'm aware of)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mudcow007 wrote:

nope

Hmmm - so my BT router I just plug in a fire it up. I need it's specific p/w (printed on it) to access it but I don't need a p/w to access the BT system (that I'm aware of)

it depends, some come pre-configured to connect to their (BT) ADSL circuit. The p/w printed underneath is generally the passcode to connect to the wifi signal the router is giving out..
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • suzyb
    My parents' Talk Talk router is a piece of sh!t. Must remember to take something else with me next time I go.

I hope not. The router isn't bad, it does what it says on the tin but I find it difficult to use and it doesn't seem to provide as much information as previous ones I've had did.

Am I right in thinking, if I get something without a modem (like the WNDR4000) I'd need a separate modem, I couldn't just connect it right to the phone line.

Also I assume wireless works like wired and to use GB wireless I'd need a device that supports it.
  • You need a modem, for sure. The D-Link DSL range all seem to be routers with integrated modems. The Netgear WNDR range are just routers, and you can't connect them straight to the phone line

I used the D-Link 320 stand-alone ADSL modem (+ ADSL filter) for years with no issues, right up until we had BT Infinity installed. Reliable piece of kit.

Don't get too excited about 5GHz wireless. I've found the range to be very limited.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    You could get the netgear router to handle your wifi, but use your current one just as the modem....
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    PBo wrote:
    You could get the netgear router to handle your wifi, but use your current one just as the modem....

True, but if you're going to do that, consider geting one of these http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/100_dlan-500-av-wireless_starter-kit_product-presentation_1.html?l=en
  • PBo wrote:

True, but you'd need to be careful to disable all the router functionality in the D-Link; does the software allow you to do this?

You really don't want two devices both handing out IP addresses in your house...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • suzyb
    Wouldn't I just be better getting a modem / router. I know I said router but I forgot that they came without the modem part and assumed everyone would realise I needed one with :?

Something like http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wi ... d3700.aspx
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    suzyb wrote:
    Wouldn't I just be better getting a modem / router. I know I said router but I forgot that they came without the modem part and assumed everyone would realise I needed one with :?

Something like http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wi ... d3700.aspx

Bit of a thread resurrection- don't know if you've resolved this, yet?

Yes, in short. I have had it's older brother (DGN3500) for a couple of years, now. Does the job. I have daisy-chained its predessessor (DGN834) to provide some extra ports and also added a range extender to improve coverage upstairs (the brick internal walls and clinker between the floors make the signal pretty weak in the far corner of the house).

We get reasonable wireless connections from Samsung phones, an Asus tablet, an old laptop and a Kindle, in case that helps. I know it shouldn't make any difference as it's all standardised but experience shows there are occasional interoperability issues... Personally, if I were buying other bits of wireless kit to integrate with the above (eg faster, external wifi for laptop) I'd be highly likely to buy NetGear again.

Cheers,
    W.
  • suzyb
    Yeah resolved it. Got the Asus DSL-N55U in the end as it seemed to be getting lots of recommendations.

Set it up last night and it seems OK so far. At least for me, dunno how the parents signal is yet :p
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    You can always hack/snoop your neighbours wi-fi.....

:shock: :? :shock: