Frame upgrade... would it be worth it?

riche0
riche0 Posts: 26
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Just looking for some advise please....

I have I Giant XTC which is about 6 years old. I have upgraded the majority of components; forks, wheels, brakes, groupset.

I was looking into changing the frame and get a new XC on, but is it actually worth it? Would it be much of an upgrade and worth the cost?

There is nothing wrong with it just cosmetic marks and the paint job looks old. Initially looked at new Giant XTC 2012 frame, but geometry etc is almost exactly the same (within mm and 0.5 degree head angle). So doubted it would be an upgrade.

Have max of £350 to spend on frame to buy extra bits that might not cross over and would have to fit my 100mm Reba forks.

Arrived a shortlist of Cove Handjob (on offer), On One Carbon Whippet, Scandel or Inbred (All seem to have similar angles etc to XTC).

Would these be an improvement on the XTC?

Comments

• MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    I highly recommend the Scandal 29er. as i have one...... 21 pounds full build .. and compete regularly on it.
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That would mean buying new forks and wheels as well though so not within the £350 budget.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    If the angles are very similar, then changes to the way it rides would be negligable. Frame material can make a difference, but I think it's only really noticeable to people who ride very regularly, pushing their frames hard. If you like the way it rides but think it's looking a bit old, you could send it for respray and get it in your favourite Le Mans team colours or what ever floats your boat. Probably have enough left over for another high-end upgrade that might reap more benefits?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    MTBUK wrote:
    I highly recommend the Scandal 29er. as i have one...... 21 pounds full build .. and compete regularly on it.

I bought a Scandal 26er. I've not finished building it yet though so can't offer much advice, but it looks like it is going to give a nice stretched out XC ride.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    What don't you like or what do you want change from your current frame?
  • riche0
    It was Scandel 26er frame i looked at. It would be good to see how you get on mcnultycop and your view on it compared to other bikes you've ridden.

bluechair84 and mcnultycop:

I guess I am a little vein and if I'm honest it's a lot to do with looks. I fancy a change but don't want to spend the money if it won't make a noticeable difference.

It's a very trusty stead. You can get a bit of 'chattering' and vibration through the back end on rocky stuff which was why I was pondering a steel/ alloy frame. Could this make much of a difference? But I guess this is prob as much to do with tyres and pressure as the frame or material.

The frame seems well made, I can only compare it to a Boardman Hybrid that I own for commuting to work, which in comparison is very very poor.

I think I was surprised how little has changed in XC frames. I thought there may be a justification to what seems to be a massive price hike for virtually the same bikes as I bought 6 years ago. I guess all the developments are in 29ers and FS.

There aren't many aluminium framesets to buy, is this because its a lesser and cheaper material so is used for off the peg bikes? Or, that enthusiasts and people who want to build are likely to want something different?

(sorry for the exhaustive reply)
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    So the only thing you'd change with your current frame is to make a bit for forgiving? I'd look at changing some components over rather than frame, I think this will make more difference.

Large volume but low tread tyres will help reduce the vibrations while still rolling quickly. Maybe a different seat post or saddle? A carbon fibre seat post may help but check reviews first. Some carbon pasts can be very stiff. I notice a bit of flex in my Exotic seat post and its reasonably priced but suitable only for XC.

Similar applies to frame materials too. Some steel frames can be stiff and others forgiving. Its more in the design than material. Try to go for a demo ride or check reviews on how it feels.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I wouldn't bother changing it, is a reasonably light and well regarded frame.

The Handjob and Inbred will pile weight on, and aren't exactly flexy, the Scandal is almost identical - only the whippet offers any sort of weight savings, and possibly a slightyl smoother rie, but you'd have to budget for the bottom bracket and headset standards.
  • riche0
    Thanks, I think realistically I agree. I still have the stock Giant handlebars, seat post and stem.

I think I'll look at changing them, maybe i could experiment with a slightly shorter stem and wider bars would change the ride and make it feel different.

For the price of a frame I could also change to a 10x group set in the future too when things start wearing out.