Noisy Chain

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
edited February 2013 in Workshop
I have just bought a spare set of wheels primarly to use on the Turbo. Obviously only using the rear as I have put on it a specific Turbo tyre so don't knacker the Schwalbe road tyres I use out on the road. I have put on a new BBS cassette but kept the same chain. When I'm using my turbo I get a lot of vibration and noise off the cassette/chain and its quite clunky when pedalling. When I change to the `road` wheel there isn't the same noise and its smooth - no vibrations. Someone has thought it could be the chain? The chain has done about 2800miles since April when the whole bike was new so don't know how long one should last - I do keep it clean and oiled.
Any ideas?
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    different cassettes therefore indexing is out, so you need to adjust the Rear Derailleur to suit the two different cassettes.
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    new cassette same chain is the problem
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Mix of the two above, New cassette will need the derailleur adjusting to it and after the miles you done I would say a new chain for when using the newer cassette would be in order. So long as you have a missing link fitted, swapping out the chain with the cassette shouldn't be a drama.
  • zx6man
    I haven't had to adjust rear mech when using a new cassette/chain if the cassette was a match (unless I have just been lucky). I assume that the other cassette on the road bike wheel is a different make.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    zx6man wrote:
    I haven't had to adjust rear mech when using a new cassette/chain if the cassette was a match (unless I have just been lucky). I assume that the other cassette on the road bike wheel is a different make.

If you mean swapping out a cassette of the same type, ie Ultegra for another Ultegra but a different ratio then you may be right, but if you are swapping for one higher/lower in the range or for say an SRAM one then the spacing will be different. I changed a Tiagra for a 105 on a friends bike a few month back and the indexing was all over the place.
  • zx6man
    Yeah, mine was an exact swap.
  • Ok. Original cassette is Campag Veloce 11-25 which still works smoothly with the same chain. New cassette on new wheel is campag splined BBS 13-28 which I got for the steeper hills on LeJog and Bowland Badass. I thought the spacing would be the same as its based on both cassettes being campag splined? I don’t really want to have to adjust the derailleur for each set of wheels

• zx6man
    the clunking you are getting for sure is the new/old combo. You will need a new chain if the old combo has done 2600 miles for sure. Get that sorted, then you may find no tweaks are needed.

Although new chain for BBB setup would mean it would slip then on the old campag. So as mentioned, either a new chain for BBB but that would mean swapping, or just get a new chain and "road" cassette to save swapping.
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    The cassettes are not the same even if its from the same brand.

If you ha e veloce then use another cassette on the veloce range would be OK. But anything else you will need adjustment of rear derailleiur.
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I'd say it is more likely to do with using different wheels and the spacing on the hubs not being the same. Switching the cassettes should help you see if this is the case.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    ^^^ +1 - first thing you should try. No noise = chain stretch issue. Noise = alignment issue.
  • So it looks like the alignement of the cassette on the hub then? So I should adjust the rear derailleur when I change wheels then I take it.

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    So it looks like the alignement of the cassette on the hub then? So I should adjust the rear derailleur when I change wheels then I take it.

If it is alignmnet yes.
    Yellow is the new Black.