Newbie from Manchester looking for routes and buddies!

Nickg91
Nickg91 Posts: 3
edited January 2013 in MTB beginners
Good evening!

My name is Nick, I'm 26 and I'm looking to get back in to the world of Mountain Biking. I was a keen rugby player but after suffering fairly horrendous knee dislocation in October I now need another hobby (The Mrs has banned me from rugby see). Running is too uncomfortable at the moment but cycling is fine.

I used to be well into mountain biking when I was younger but haven't done it to any degree recently, using my bike only for the commute to work.

With that in mind I'm looking for some decent trails around the Manchester area. I'm still pretty fit and although my Trek hard tail is about 8 years old it's been well looked after and has only seen road use recently, and it's very light for an older bike.

Im thinking that XC would suit me best so does anyone know of any decent trails around Manchester, preferably ones I could ride to without having to take the car would be good. The transpennine trail is the only one I can seem to find.

Thanks for having me, and I hope to maybe meet some of you soon for a ride out somewhere.

Nick

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    There is a routes and rides section for this sort of thing, but in any case where about in Manchester are you?

I'm in Oldham and there is plenty of stuff near me and also in Saddleworth.

I've not tried Philips Park (sort of Whitefield, on the M60) but that seems to be well regarded, if you get in the car there is Lee Quarry and the Peaks within 45 minutes (depending on the side of town you are).
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Going clockwise
    Rivington
    Moors around Bury/Rochdale, Out to Lee Quarry
    Calder Valley
    Around Sadleworth area
    Going into the Peaks - Glossop/Hayfield Roman Lakes etc
    Delamere

Further afield
    Landegla
    Gisburn
    Further into the Peak District
    Lakes
  • lee quarry is a good xc ride long sections and short sections berms pump track etc only in bacup .. also delemere forrest is another good place not to for away only in chester got lots of fire roads for fitness and a skill section which is nice need transport for most places really manchester isnt exactly forest friendly :)
    Always take spare socks!!
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    need transport but the train is your friend.
    For the above:
    Rivington - Horwich Parkway/Blackrod
    Moors around Rochdale, Out to Lee Quarry - Rochdale
    Calder Valley - Todmorden/Hebden Bridge
    Around Sadleworth area - Greenfield/Mossley
    Going into the Peaks - Glossop/Hayfield Roman Lakes etc -- Glossop/New Mills
    Delamere - Delamere

Further afield
    Landegla - not really doable by public transport
    Gisburn - not really doable by public transport
    Further into the Peak District - Hope station is right near Jacob's ladder but you may aswell ride from New Mills
    Lakes - Great rides up kentmere/Garburn pass from Stavely. Grizedale is only a short ride and a ferry from Windermere station