Curbing your desire to spend...

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Anyone successful at doing it?

Having completed my first 100+ miler last year and wanting to enter several sportives this year, I find myself looking at lighter, stiffer, quicker and yes, sexier bikes than my trusty Equilibrium. The problem is, what I know would do me fine, and what I keep trying to convince myself I should get are two different things. I could probably be more than happy and perfectly comfortable on a 105 equipped Canyon Ultimate AL, but having looked on the Canyon site, I've now convinced myself that if I'm buying a new bike, I might as well pay they extra for an Ultimate CF CLX with di2! If you've got the money to spend on flash gear you don't really need then why the hell not? But then I'm not sure I do have the money to justify it.

Any of you discovered enlightenment and the technique for keeping things in perspective?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    No.
    Any of you discovered enlightenment and the technique for keeping things in perspective?
    Fear of the EPO combined with guilt is what usually stops me.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    No.

I need a BBRight compatible chainset to complete a build. I could go for a rotor but, no, I'm eyeing up the SRAM red powermeter...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I make sure that whatever I buy, it's what I really want. That way, I still love it years later! Eg my Look - almost same spec as when bought (though that may change a little) - had it for 3 years I think and there's still no new bike I want more!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971

Having completed my first 100+ miler last year and wanting to enter several sportives this year, I find myself looking at lighter, stiffer, quicker and yes, sexier bikes than my trusty Equilibrium. The problem is, what I know would do me fine, and what I keep trying to convince myself I should get are two different things. I could probably be more than happy and perfectly comfortable on a 105 equipped Canyon Ultimate AL, but having looked on the Canyon site, I've now convinced myself that if I'm buying a new bike, I might as well pay they extra for an Ultimate CF CLX with di2! If you've got the money to spend on flash gear you don't really need then why the hell not? But then I'm not sure I do have the money to justify it.

I just remind myself that the best money I ever spent was £10 on a computer game called Unreal Tournament. It has brought over a decade of enjoyment to me.

So, would spending £4k on a machine that does pretty much the same as a £350 make me happy?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Steps:-
    1. Contemplation. Spend a long time thinking about what you want, why you want it and what is the ultimate solution.
    2. Spend right, spend once - Once you have decided what you want research to get the best that you can afford. I would never advocate getting in debt when not required but if you buy the best at the start, you cut out those intermediate purchases.
    3. Enjoy it. Now you have your purchase - use it, get your moneys worth and cost will be forgotten.
    4. No lust - As you have what you want you will soon realise that the new versions that appear every year are 95% cosmetics and nothing will significantly improve on what you have.
    5. Accumulation of cash - Start again at step one. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I make sure that whatever I buy, it's what I really want. That way, I still love it years later! Eg my Look - almost same spec as when bought (though that may change a little) - had it for 3 years I think and there's still no new bike I want more!

Ah, the little devil on my left shoulder likes this one! It's worth spending the money because I'll never need to upgrade again! Although, a very average, recreational rider will obviously need a set of Cosmic Carbones too one day, right?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Veronese68 wrote:
    No.
    Fear of the EPO combined with guilt is what usually stops me.

This.

Sit on hands. Bin Computer. Give Cards to EPO.

Then go and get it anyway...

And yes, the Carbones are a must.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    My theory is this:

If you save up and buy what you really really want, you will enjoy it far more than compromising because you want it right now.....

if I get back to racing or competing - then I have a 'Look' build in mind that I have lusted after for years. It will be my keeper.

However, I would buy a second, quality, wheelset for racing.......
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Bustacapp wrote:

I just remind myself that the best money I ever spent was £10 on a computer game called Unreal Tournament. It has brought over a decade of enjoyment to me.

So, would spending £4k on a machine that does pretty much the same as a £350 make me happy?

Unreal Tournament - now I was big into that game - played for a clan - nearly lost my marriage :) Still go back and play a quick game occasionally but nowhere near as good as I used to be - shock whore extreme :)
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    [...]technique for keeping things in perspective?

I surprised myself with the total after listing all the bike-related spending in a spreadsheet, so now seeing how long I can go without further purchases, to at least try and bring the ratio below £1 per mile.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Although, a very average, recreational rider will obviously need a set of Cosmic Carbones too one day, right?

That's OK as long as you are not selling the old wheels. The principle doesn't work if you sell stuff to fund new stuff. Then you are just buying a new bike by stealth!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    why curb? Spend until it hurts then spend some more
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    itboffin wrote:
    why curb? Spend until it hurts then spend some more
    I did wonder why you were posting on this thread.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Just picked up my new wheels, why are you asking me?!
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    jonomc4 wrote:
    Tournament - now I was big into that game - played for a clan - nearly lost my marriage :) Still go back and play a quick game occasionally but nowhere near as good as I used to be - shock whore extreme :)

Shock & Rocket slut myself. Hate the snipers!!
  • You lot are really not helping, you know. I like it! :D
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've actually reached something approaching a point where all I spend on is consumables. That's pretty much from buying "the best" (or something approximating to it) just once. Then, whenever something catches my eye, I can think "Is it better than what I have?" and the answer is almost always "No". It's been "expensive" getting to this point but much better than "buy cheap, buy twice"
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Pretty much what everybody else has said. Always buy the best you possibly can to get the most enjoyment out of it for the longest possible time. And then succumb to the lust.....!!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Ive got 3 bikes , old mtb for winter commuting , road bike for summer commuting and long rides and full suss mtb for weekly play in the wilds.
    I have an allowed budget of £50 ish per month i try and keep to , there always seems to be something needing replacing on one of the 3 although it is normally the full suss as that gets a good hiding .

About to get bike 4 next month when our bike scheme starts again, 29er mtb this time to replace the old winter hack although 4 bikes is a nice round number............
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Buy everything you can see whilst foaming at the mouth pushing people out of the way and shouting MINE!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    My spending has really dropped off. Just down to basic maintenance costs at the moment. And it is making me miserable...
  • Just found out what my tax bill is. I guess it's the Equilibrium for a while yet. :cry:
  • daviesee
    Just found out what my tax bill is. I guess it's the Equilibrium for a while yet. :cry:
    Tax bill = Self employed?
    Self employed = Company bike surely? :P
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim21664.htm
  • gtvlusso
    Curbing my desire to spend, by selling my fixie....
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    gtvlusso wrote:

what what what, i seem to recall that being a lovely clean tarty bike?!
  • iPete wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

I desire a fixie, let me know....
  • gtvlusso
    iPete wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

I desire a fixie, let me know....

On the classifieds, so, I won't troll here.

It is a beautiful, light and fast bike - My knees cannot do fixed any longer.....I am sad :(

Will PM you a linky.

Anyway, the money may go towards Dura Ace for the roadie.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Just found out what my tax bill is. I guess it's the Equilibrium for a while yet. :cry:
    Tax bill = Self employed?
    Self employed = Company bike surely? :P
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim21664.htm

Yeah, I need to get my head around that. Right now my accountant claims for all cycle commute related purchases and 20p a mile for the journey.
  • daviesee
    Yeah, I need to get my head around that. Right now my accountant claims for all cycle commute related purchases and 20p a mile for the journey.
    That's one way of doing it.
    If you are after a lush bike though it is more cost effective for your company to simply buy the bike and loan it to all employees. You may even be able to claim back the VAT.
    Then there are the company helmets, lights, hi-viz, consumables, wear & tear, breakfasts.......
    :P
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've managed to curb my spending to some degree by completely running out of money. Hey presto.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017