Sherwood Pines 'Downhill Section' Revamp. (Now with Video)

oxocube1
oxocube1 Posts: 651
edited February 2013 in Routes
Was pretty shocked when I got to the Downhill Section of the Kitchener Trail last week to find that they have completely overhauled it and made it very bike park-esk. They have actually done a really good job, I only managed to ride it 3 times due to low light but from what i rode there was at least 6 different paths you could take down the run. It's all compact hard surface that needs some bedding in as some of the corners were a little loose but it still rode well. They've put in some nice berms, switchbacks, and each path has a few rock drops and doubles to hit. Each path leads back to the walk up with only takes 5mins. Definitely worth a few runs next time you head up there!

Edit: I've got some GoPro footage of it if anybody is keen to see what its like.

Comments

• phz
    phz Posts: 478
    Would like to see the footage if you've posted it up anywhere.
  • Interested to see some footage, I've still not made it over to Sherwood yet.

Have just been browsing your Youtube channel and seen your footage from Croft Hill. Me and a few friends are often over that way, always a little challenge pedalling straight up the front face.
    Commencal Meta AM
    Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc
  • oxocube1
    I'm just uploading the footage now to my Youtube channel. We only did 3 runs but it gives you a good idea of what it is like. I will be giving myself more time next time I go to do a few more runs.

funkybaj yea thats the closest thing to me that is a 'trail'! I tend to go up to The Pines once a month or so with a friend who meets me from Leeds. It's worth the 1.5hr drive I'd say and I actually prefer it to Cannock Chase.
  • Interesting, we quite often go over to Cannock, will have to check out Sherwood. Will check out your video :)
    Commencal Meta AM
    Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc
  • oxocube1
    Here's the footage we captured of the 'Black' run. Like i said it's nice and flowy and there was quite a few more paths we didn't take as we ran out of time.
  • Cheers the video, doesn't look very 'Black' mind but I'll have to visit at some time. Difficult to tell in the video but how big are those drops?
    Commencal Meta AM
    Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I guess that is the old "dual descender" area?
  • oxocube1
    funkybaj wrote:
    Cheers the video, doesn't look very 'Black' mind but I'll have to visit at some time. Difficult to tell in the video but how big are those drops?

Yea that's my reason for the use of the quotation marks! The whole trail is graded a Red but it's not a trail centre red like Cannock or Cwmcarn, it's more of an XC route red. So the Black run there is basically now just a small bike park, it certainly is not steep but it allows you to take it at your own pace. You could absolutely smash it if you wanted by pedalling hard, or just cruise down it.

The drops ranged from probably a kerb height to about 2.5 foot so nothing huge but decent enough size to have a bit of fun.
  • apreading wrote:
    I guess that is the old "dual descender" area?

It is, tame but fun non the less
  • funkybaj wrote:
    Cheers the video, doesn't look very 'Black' mind but I'll have to visit at some time. Difficult to tell in the video but how big are those drops?

About a foot or so