Selling a carbon frame on e-bay

careful
careful Posts: 720
edited January 2013 in Road general
I will be auctioning my lovely Colnago C50 soon. In the past, all my sales have been on the basis of no return accepted and there has never been a problem. The thing is, I wouldnt want to buy something like a carbon frame without seeing it first so I am thinking of offering money back (less postage) if returned within 1 week. There are no problems at all with the frame (almost like new) but I wouldnt expect buyers to trust me on this. Interested to hear from others who have bought/sold high cost items on E-bay. What could go wrong? Am I doing the right thing.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd only do the meeting in person thing for something like this.
  • careful
    Thanks cougie- I guess it might be the only way although obviously that brings some risks - possible wasted journeys, possible mugging (unlikely but it happens), also risk of the buyer beating me down on price knowing that I wont want to waste the journey. I live down in the wilds near Exmoor so it is likely to be a long drive to see potential buyers. But I do agree, few would buy without seeing it first - I know I wouldnt.
  • careful wrote:
    Thanks cougie- I guess it might be the only way although obviously that brings some risks - possible wasted journeys, possible mugging (unlikely but it happens), also risk of the buyer beating me down on price knowing that I wont want to waste the journey. I live down in the wilds near Exmoor so it is likely to be a long drive to see potential buyers. But I do agree, few would buy without seeing it first - I know I wouldnt.

Hi careful,

I know that you are remote but I would imagine that the previous poster meant for the buyer to visit you rather than the other way around.

You'd be surprised how far people will travel for what they want. Also, it would be a good excuse to have a holiday on Exmoor - albeit unseasonal :)
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    careful wrote:

Hi careful,

I know that you are remote but I would imagine that the previous poster meant for the buyer to visit you rather than the other way around.

You'd be surprised how far people will travel for what they want. Also, it would be a good excuse to have a holiday on Exmoor - albeit unseasonal :)

Exactly....and they could test their new purchase with a blast up Porlock Hill..
  • careful
    You'd be surprised how far people will travel for what they want. Also, it would be a good excuse to have a holiday on Exmoor - albeit unseasonal

True - but you wouldnt want to be up there today!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I have sold car parts with a limited warranty. My SL had an oil leak and it soaked the ECU computer in oil. MB were going to charge an arm to clean it so I replaced it (labour cost more than the part). I cleaned the old and sold it with a limited 2 week warranty. I sealed the box with tape and basically drafted a warranty along the lines of they could return it if it was faulty and the seals unbroken. i.e. test it works before installing it.

You may as well offer this as - if they b1tch to ebay you'll loose the money and frame. IMO though better to go cash on collection.
  • GONNA GET MUGGED!! :P sorry!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    GONNA GET MUGGED!! :P sorry!

You may mock but you can't be too care..... er hold on a minute it seems you can be.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would worry more about getting scammed on such a high value / attractive item. Why don't you just work out a BIN price and sell it on a forum - you'll likely get a fair price, no seller fees and probably won't have the hassle of shipping.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • careful
    Thanks monty dog, getting tricked or scammed in some way is what I meant - not mugging in the literal sense of getting whacked over the head or similar. Ive never sold anything on this forum, but I cant see how either the buyer or the seller is any more immune from scams. Also potential buyers would still want to see the frame first so the problem remains. Taking a quick look at road bikes currently on sale here I see several where the seller has had to keep dropping the price - a Dutch auction! Maybe this is because there arent that many forum members so not much competition and no bidding, or maybe just because of current hard times or the time of year. Either way it looks like a great place to buy, but not so great if you are selling. It could be worth a shot though, nothing to lose.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    ebay is no guarentee of price (unless you pay for a BIN).

The forum offers a free place to advertise and IME the folk are generally straight up. I have bought numerous things from here (including my CAAD) and as long as you treat it like any other transaction there are few pitfalls (that don't exist anyway).

I travelled from East Midlands to Surrey (after getting extra photos and various emails to clarify stuff) for the CAAD and only handed over the cash once I was happy. Saves wasting both parties time etc.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • diy
    I have bought and sold through this forum. I would say it works well as you have a chance to search the buyers post to see if they are a genuine enthusiast buying/selling parts.

Prices fall because people have a ridiculous perception of what their used bike/parts are worth. People forget that as the new owner, you have no warranty on the parts and are typically buying on description. Hence you are having a laugh if you think you can sell a pair of wheels for 10-15% less than the current retail, for example.

You will get more on ebay probably, but it is surprising how many buyers turn out to be time wasters. You also have to remember that with all the listing and paypal charges, you are probably evens in terms of sale price.
  • careful
    Helpful comments guys. I will definately give the forum a go when I am ready to sell. No response from anyone on the "refund if not satisfied" idea. I guess it is a bad idea as two lots of postage and insurance would be needed. I could imagine the problems if it came back damaged.
  • diy
    what do you think a limited warranty is if not tighter version of a refund if not satisfied?

just take the standard manufacturer warranty and amend.

Something that will allow the buyer to inspect, assemble and test. Make the warranty non-transferable, time bound (e.g. 3 weeks) and exclude: improper assembly or follow-up maintenance/adjustments; Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the frame as sold; Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Sometimes when I sell delicate things on Ebay I say that if buyer needs postage it must be arranged by themselves at my convenience, and that the buyer must be satisfied with good before purchase. Takes away the problems of it going "missing" in transit or being dropped/damaged by courier. Just make sure there courier leaves you a receipt to confirm it has been collected and take photos of it leaving/packaged so that they cant say it was never sent.
  • diy
    /\ not sure that will give you much protection. Unless its very clear that its collection only.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    Keep it simple

Cash on collection only. Caveat emptor. Do not under any circumstances offer refund after the buyer build it.

Post a picture on here with a BIN price, you might be surprised!

For what its worth , I bought a Colnago Extreme Power full bike via ebay and got the buyer to deliver. That way I knew he was genuine. I paid cash and insisted on proof of original purchase.
    Colnago Addict!
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    diy wrote:
    /\ not sure that will give you much protection. Unless its very clear that its collection only.
    That is exactly whay I say. This is item is offered as collection only, however if buyer wishes to arrange own courier then they can however I will bear no responsibility if damaged/missing in transit.
  • djhermer
    careful wrote:
    Helpful comments guys. I will definitely give the forum a go when I am ready to sell. No response from anyone on the "refund if not satisfied" idea. I guess it is a bad idea as two lots of postage and insurance would be needed. I could imagine the problems if it came back damaged.

Of course there is an obvious problem I've noticed on BR classifieds. There's an unfeasible number of people, with nothing better to do and far too much time on their hands who make it their ongoing mission to 'bomb' adverts. People with no interest in buying and nothing constructive to say who, at the first sign of a new post, start scouring the Internet to prove the poster is asking too much for something.

I think these people think they're helping and being some sort of good samaritan for the BR Community. But half the time they compare incorrect products without checking in a desperate bid to be first to prove someone is asking too much.

They're not. Theyre just idiots. People can ask for whatever they like. The market will decide if it's fair or not.

Just something to consider. It's a beautiful bike you're selling, but there will be idiots who know more than you
    About its provenance and value!

Good luck with the sale!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    @djhermer - I may be wrong but I am guessing you did not get as much for your item (whatever and whenever it was) as you would have liked???? :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • djhermer
    smidsy wrote:
    @djhermer - I may be wrong but I am guessing you did not get as much for your item (whatever and whenever it was) as you would have liked???? :-)

Not at all! Never tried to sell anything. It's a completely objective opinion based on a lot of observation. Now I know I'm not the only one who's noticed it...