Superstar Pedals and others...

dhooper7
dhooper7 Posts: 156
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I was recommended a pair of VP-59's when I bought my bike 10 months ago (Specialized Enduro).
If you too are recommended a pair, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

The pedals are made of Belgian waffle with many of the thru-pin threads smashed beyond use.

I've recently bought a pair of 5.10's and I was gutted to find they did little for my grip... until I had a go on a mate's V12's! Now looking to upgrade my pedals in the next week or two.

Ideally, I don't want to replace my 365g waffles with a 500g set, however low profile and strength is more important.
Needs to be able to take the hits but still be light. Will consider Magnesium as long as the price is kept under £65

Any suggestions?
2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp

Comments

• Exotic ones from carboncycles.com
  • Superstar Nano's are amazing pedals, light and so grippy when used with 5.10's
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury
  • dazz25
    dazz25 Posts: 48
    I've got the nano's as well. Very good pedal for the price. Light(ish), strong and very grippy.
  • Exotics are the same as nanos (apart from the logo) and cheaper. I have some and they are fantastic, light and grippy, what more could you want?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wellgo MG1's currently £30 in CRC sale. So you can buy two sets and have change.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Wellgo MG1 are another good bet. Cheap too. You might even be able to pick up a ti axled set in budget if you're lucky.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Wellgo MG1's currently £30 in CRC sale. So you can buy two sets and have change.

damn you!
  • I've got Nukeproof Electrons, they are low profile, plastic (well nylon composite) and weigh about 340 gr. Think i paid about 26 quid. A lot of people I ride with use them as well.
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    I got Saints the other day for £35 using a code at Evans. My Superstar nanos are a bit jiggered and I can't service them for the life of me.
  • dhooper7
    Nobody has suggested the superstar ultra mag...
    If I go for the nano would you suggest the thrupin for added strength...?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The thru pin is no stronger. It's supposed to be easier to remove when the tips are worn down but it doesn't work because you then ruin the threads in the pedal when you unscrew them back through the pedal.
  • dhooper7
    The thru pin is no stronger. It's supposed to be easier to remove when the tips are worn down but it doesn't work because you then ruin the threads in the pedal when you unscrew them back through the pedal.
    Ahhh, a nice bit of info. I've lost a few pins from my VP-59's but just put a slightly smaller screw in from the back (as the thread was ruined) and used some Araldite resin to hold in place.
    Seeing as they are the same price as non thru-pins and are 50g lighter I'll go for them. If I was to destroy a pin can they just be remove with locking pliers and replaced? Any chance of them shearing clean off?

Afraid the Wellgo MG1's reviews are not great so gonna give them a miss.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    I have Ultra Mags and can't complain about them at all, I did get them pretty much brand new second hand though for a bargain...
  • cooldad
    dhooper7 wrote:
    Afraid the Wellgo MG1's reviews are not great so gonna give them a miss.
    Then they are obviously idiots who have no idea.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dhooper7
    cooldad wrote:
    Then they are obviously idiots who have no idea.
    Bit of a childish remark...

If people have problems with an item you also own it doesn't make them an idiot... You don't need to have an "idea" about what's going on if your pedal seizes. Think my child could spot that!
    Just read some of the comments on crc and you'll see for yourself
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most reviews of the MG1 I have seen are positive. Given they make DMR pedals, but at half the price, is hard to go wrong.

CRC lists at 4.1/5, hardly bad.
  • cooldad
    I have. A lot more 4 and 5 star reviews though. I also know people who jetwash their bikes.

FWIW I talk from personal experience, have them on a few bikes, used in all weather, and my oldest pair are going on 4 years old with no hassles and no intention to replace. And that's on my main bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Although they have lost a lot of paint, which makes the purple ones on CRC a bargain at £26. They'll be silver before long.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nukeproof Electrons aren't very grippy because of the tall axle- takes weight off the pins, even with them screwed fully out (they don't come this way for some reason). I didn't like them, they were OK with some shoes but terrible with others. But then if you're used to VP59s they're certainly better!

I've got assorted Nanos and MG1s on my bikes, they're both excellent. Nano is thinner, MG1 is lighter (for the same expense)

Ultra Mag is good, but the magnesium nanos don't hold their pins very well- there's really not much metal in them. The cage seems durable enough but I've ended up filling and retapping half the holes because of lost pins. And they're the only pedals I own that do it, I've only ever lost one pin out of 3 sets of MG1s frinstance and none from my alu nanos. I prefer them for riding than my MG1-Tis but they're a pain.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • i use nanos and even with my worn out hiking boots the grips really good
    sight 3 se