Chainsuck protection plate

mikenetic
mikenetic Posts: 486
edited May 2013 in Workshop
I've just taken delivery of a Canyon Ultimate CF. Being the paranoid sort, I'm a little worried about chainsuck damage.

I've had this happen before on a Spec Roubaix, but that has a protective pad fitted that covers the area between the chainstay and the chainrings, so there was no damage.

I notice some frames (like the Spec Tarmac, Canyon Aeroad) have what appears to be a metal plate bonded to the chainstay that does an equivalent job.

Are there any aftermarket protectors? Is it worth getting a plate shaped up? I'd hate to chew through a chainstay because the chain got dragged up and stuck.

I'm also going to fit a chain catcher, but I just wondered if this was an issue other people have encountered and solved.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Generally a clean and well maintained drivetrain will prevent this.
  • mikenetic
    It's the 'generally' I'm worried about. I'm pretty meticulous about my bikes, but I know shifting isn't absolutely 100% reliable.
  • I think lizard skin do something to help prevent this......although I could be wrong,,
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Plastic spiral cable tidy is what I use. It can be bought very cheaply, in clear or colour, looks neat, and is virtually indestructible. Just cut it to length and spiral it around the chainstay.
  • If you're meticulous about your maintenance then as already stated it shouldn't really be a problem. I've never really has this issue on any of my bikes except from my MTB where it's more a case of the chain bouncing that makes it hit the chain stay.

I bought an A4 sheet of carbon fiber look vinyl from Ebay for about £2 and just cut out a section and stuck it on there. Won't be as much protection provided by a pad etc, but it does look much better.
  • mikenetic
    Thanks for the suggestions, definitely given me some simple ideas to try.
  • johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    Helicopter tape. From convertape on ebay.
  • Look here: also custom made

www.chainsuckprotector.com
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Or get some cheap 0.5mm aluminium sheet from DIY which is about a fiver and have the satisfaction of making your own. It's not just chain suck that could happen, if your chain comes off the small ring at the front and then tries to come back up you'll do some damage. And yes it can still happen even if you've got the setup right.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    I have the Ultimate CF. The space between rings and frameis decent. I would think you're okay without but if you really want to protect it then one of the thicker chainstay protector pads cut down and put side by side could work.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    gaddster wrote:
    Or get some cheap 0.5mm aluminium sheet from DIY which is about a fiver and have the satisfaction of making your own. It's not just chain suck that could happen, if your chain comes off the small ring at the front and then tries to come back up you'll do some damage. And yes it can still happen even if you've got the setup right.

This is what chain catchers are for. :D
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    Unfortunately chain catchers dont always stop chain suck, though obviously helps. The chain can still drop between frame and rings at the back or front. If you have a frame with a wide BB it can get really jammed yet the chain will still be above the where the chain catcher is.