Can I modify my wheels ??

white/blue flash
white/blue flash Posts: 49
edited January 2013 in Workshop
My buddy and I went for a ride the other day..We went through some flood water that was rather deep..

Anyway did a Turbo session this morning, he drained the water out of his wheels through a small hole in the rim..

1.Can I drill a small hole in the rim to drain them in the future..

2.Is it safe to do

Comments

• The hole where the valve comes out or is the rim sealed below that (surely not??)
  • The hole in his wheels is just below the braking surface of the wheel, at the opposite side of the valve..
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    To get all the water out you would need to remove the tyre anyway. I would think adding holes is more likely to add to the problem of water getting in.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Is the rim trapping water?
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • Yes bud....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what are his rims?

and yours?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    this is a common thing to see on shimano rs wheels
    cant remember if its rs10's or 20's
    but yes as long as you drill in the deep section of the wheel where the inner tube is not in you will be fine.

but as previous poster has mentioned cant you park the wheel with the valve at 6 o'clock and it should drain out by itself
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Mavic Cosmic (or is it Cosmos) carbon clinchers have a couple of holes drilled in the rim - these are the ones that are essentially a Kyserium with a carbon fairing thrown on and a £400 price increase.

Off hand I think that there are two sets of hole in the rim - at at the top, one at the bottom and then the valve at 3/9 o'clock (dependant on which way you are looking at the wheel.

I'd say go for it: so long as you are not drilling a 14mm hole in there you'll be fine: I think the mavic hole is 1, maybe 2mm.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I have a wheelset that's prone to fill up with water in heavy rain. I found that just letting the tyres down and leaving the bike somewhere warm and dry overnight was sufficient to dry them out. Much less hassle than removing tyres.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yup, my RS10s have a small drain hole which I ensure is at the bottom when I park it after a wet ride. Never noticed vast amounts draining out though
  • Yossie wrote:
    Mavic Cosmic (or is it Cosmos) carbon clinchers have a couple of holes drilled in the rim - these are the ones that are essentially a Kyserium with a carbon fairing thrown on and a £400 price increase.

Off hand I think that there are two sets of hole in the rim - at at the top, one at the bottom and then the valve at 3/9 o'clock (dependant on which way you are looking at the wheel.

I'd say go for it: so long as you are not drilling a 14mm hole in there you'll be fine: I think the mavic hole is 1, maybe 2mm.

Most of the water will get in from the valve hole. There are patches you can use or you can wrap some tape around the valve to make the junction tight.
    If the problem is really bad, to the point where you get water in even by not riding in puddles, then you have to think of extreme measures, as you suggest
    left the forum March 2023
  • Each to their own but I wouldn't drill a hole in any wheel - if it it manufactured with one great but if it wasn't I would fear the drilling would alter structural integrity in a way that was never planned for and surely may cause stress concentrations? Is it worth it for what can only be a few mls of water (even in deep section rims)?