"lost" gear cable in 5600 STI

douglas_small
douglas_small Posts: 3
edited January 2013 in Workshop
I was fitting a new rear shifting cable to my STI but somehow (I know,I know) it didn't seat properly in the cable hook in the lever. The cable nipple has somehow slipped over the cable hook and channel and is stuck in the handle on the "other" side of the lever mech. The cable itself is coming out of the hole correctly, but obviously the whole thing is unworkable as the nipple isn't seated in it's hook.

Any ideas as to how I extract the cable>

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What happens if you pull the brake lever and push on the wire?
  • keef66 wrote:
    What happens if you pull the brake lever and push on the wire?

I can see the nipple pushing against the changer mech but I can't get it to come back through.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Keep fiddling until it comes out, under no circumstances attempt to dismantle the sti!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is it completely downshifted?

You need something very thin and slightly flexible to poke in there and persuade it to do the right thing. You got an old spoke? You can try to modify the end with a suitable hammer etc
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Wrap tape / rubber band to hold lever open & go fishing - see if you can poke something long and thin to hook over the cable nipple and pull it out whilst pushing cable from the free end
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Magnets can help, we've got a spoke winder with a strong magnet in the other end (no idea why, no help with wheel building) which has saved me in the past.