Quick Survey on Group Riding

jbroscha
jbroscha Posts: 2
Hello everyone,

I am a university student trying to get feedback on an idea of how many people ride in groups and the ability levels of the riders that you ride with. Below is the link for the survey. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/G8NSGYR

Comments

• mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    10 housebricks in a rucksack? Yours for £20. :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • haha question 4

Would you be interested in a device that would allow you to vary the your effort level while still maintaining the same speed so you could still ride in a group?

mines called a bike :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,282
    Sorry this is a terrible idea.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    That's a great idea. I'd like to reduce my effort and keep the same speed. Can I race with it?
  • haha question 4

Would you be interested in a device that would allow you to vary the your effort level while still maintaining the same speed so you could still ride in a group?

mines called a bike :lol:

but a bike doesn't do this, unless you say ride with your brakes on. Imagine you're on a group ride there's a mix of riders ability levels with you being one of the fittest. You want to ride in a group and are thus forced to ride at slowest persons pace. You would, therefore, not be training, and maybe you have limited time to train (so you're wasting valuable time). Wouldn't it be great if you could train hard in this situation, rather than "wasting" time?

(a rucksack with bricks wouldn't solve this issue)

Ric
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Surely what they are talking about is adding resistance to the bike so pretty much attaching a drag brake type thingymawatsit?
    Not sure whether i'd pay for that. Some alternatives -Ride for 1 hr before and after(hard)
    -Keep dropping off the back and riding hard to get back on.
    -sprint for signs, hills,telegraph poles etc.
    -sit on the front.

Realistically if a group ride is too easy for me i wouldn't do it(regularly)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I think this is perhaps why my club has three or four groups. If it's too easy, move up, if it's too hard, move down - simples.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I recently bought a turbo trainer. Now I can't keep up with the group no matter how hard I pedal!
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I think the OP is about just about riding and not about training. I often ride with riders that are slower than me and because I know this I ride a heavy MTB or HB. I get some training value out of it because doing 40 or 50 miles on bikes like that at a high cadence and diminished climbing speed knackers me.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.