Installing wired SRM

markwb79
markwb79 Posts: 937
edited January 2013 in Workshop
how easy is it to do? Says on the SRM website to get a professional to do it.

Wireless ones are quite rare, or very expensive!
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    wireless is a doddle, i can't see wired being much harder, just as with the wireless one, you need to get the sensors in the correct positions, the only added task is running the wires neatly/securely

there's a detailed install guide with pics in the manual, you can download it here...

http://www.srm.de/index.php/us/download ... em-english
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • markwb79
    sungod wrote:
    wireless is a doddle, i can't see wired being much harder, just as with the wireless one, you need to get the sensors in the correct positions, the only added task is running the wires neatly/securely

there's a detailed install guide with pics in the manual, you can download it here...

http://www.srm.de/index.php/us/download ... em-english

Thanks for a link, have been looking for pictures/instructions, never thought about the SRM site!

I presume though that a wire needs to run up to the head unit too?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Markwb79 wrote:
    I presume though that a wire needs to run up to the head unit too?

Yes, I just taped it to the underside of the tube from BB to headtube on mine, not the neatest job but it worked, can't see any need for a professional really...
  • markwb79
    Strange question, but does it do heart rate if it isnt wireless?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Strange question, but does it do heart rate if it isnt wireless?

The pcv definitely receives heart rate from a basic polar strap, t31 I think, I believe some other straps will work with it but not sure which, although it's certainly not Ant+ compatible
  • sungod
    see page 97 of the manual, it lists compatible devices

as above, a basic uncoded polar strap will probably be ok, a lot of non-ant+ things work with those
  • markwb79
    Thanks a lot. thats throws a spanner into the works, would prefer to stay ANT+
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • sungod
    if you are considering buying, have a look at the quarq powermeter, similar to srm, but lower cost, they are both very good systems

also, do not buy from uk without looking elsewhere to compare pricing, for instance try...

http://www.powermeter24.com

the website is in german, but it's easy enough to figure out what's what, if you get stuck email them, i've dealt with them in the past and they were very helpful

buying inside the eu you still have consumer protection and warranty rights, on some items you can save a lot vs. uk
  • markwb79
    sungod wrote:
    if you are considering buying, have a look at the quarq powermeter, similar to srm, but lower cost, they are both very good systems

also, do not buy from uk without looking elsewhere to compare pricing, for instance try...

http://www.powermeter24.com

the website is in german, but it's easy enough to figure out what's what, if you get stuck email them, i've dealt with them in the past and they were very helpful

buying inside the eu you still have consumer protection and warranty rights, on some items you can save a lot vs. uk

Thanks a lot, I will have a look at them. I usually only buy in euro's actually, exchange rate from pounds isn't very good at the moment.

One reason I have not looked in the past is that the rest of my groupset is Campag. I was thinking I could put FSA rings on which ever crank set I get
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012