Free maps for the 800

mallorcajeff
mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
edited January 2013 in Road general
I have tried the search but can't get a result. I have just bought an 800. Was going for the 510 but seems a while away and think the 800 will be better for me. I'm looking for some of the free maps. Have looked at the toaster ones but I'm looking for Europe or just Spain to be precise. Can anyone point me to somewhere? Or do I just buy the Europe garmin job. Really don't want to though if I can help it.
Thanks

Comments

• Don't buy Garmin - get the free maps from OpenMaps - Google is your friend.
  • I have tried the search but can't get a result. I have just bought an 800. Was going for the 510 but seems a while away and think the 800 will be better for me. I'm looking for some of the free maps. Have looked at the toaster ones but I'm looking for Europe or just Spain to be precise. Can anyone point me to somewhere? Or do I just buy the Europe garmin job. Really don't want to though if I can help it.
    Thanks

Go here
    http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
    Choose generic routable
    choose Spain from the Europe drop down list in pre-defined country selection.
    Your done
  • mallorcajeff
    Top info as usual thanks for that I'm onto it now.
    Cheers
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Let us know how you get on jeff.
    I am like you i was going to wait until the 510 came out but may get the basic 800.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    As above. I use the pre-packaged toaster OSM maps which are great for the UK. I also generated maps for parts of Turkey using the openstreetmap link above. You can use both map sets side by side.

The 800 actually made a great GPS device for trekking in Turkey following courses I'd created beforehand.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Its a pretty good maritime GPS too. Certainly helped on flotillas
  • tipped
    tipped Posts: 27
    Planet X SL Team 2011 (SRAM Red, Krysium Elite)
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Ive downloaded the maps but there is no way on earth I can get the post code search to work :(
    Living MY dream.
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    tipped wrote:
    Not particularly helpful for the OP though :wink:
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    VTech wrote:
    Ive downloaded the maps but there is no way on earth I can get the post code search to work :(
    That's because there's no postcode info embedded into the maps. the proper Garmin one's have this but none of the OSM flavours have it. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong there and put up a link to where they can be acquired from.

IMO, this is the only downside to using OSM, but even then I've never had a cause to use a postcode route on my bike. I just don't use the device that way so I don't miss it, but I guess other people might.
  • rich164h wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    That's because there's no postcode info embedded into the maps. the proper Garmin one's have this but none of the OSM flavours have it. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong there and put up a link to where they can be acquired from.

IMO, this is the only downside to using OSM, but even then I've never had a cause to use a postcode route on my bike. I just don't use the device that way so I don't miss it, but I guess other people might.

You are indeed correct. I have been investigating the post code search on the 800 and it works with the garmin maps but not OSM.
    This is irregardless of which map is actually enabled on the device.
    i.e. if you have both OSM and for example Garmin city navigator maps on your device with only the OSM enabled post code search will work. This is what led me down the wrong path in beleiving the post code search works for OSM.
    As has been said even with garmin maps the post code search is flaky at best.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    freezing77, I really appreciate your time with this :)

I have tried to locate my sister address which is 6 miles away and it doesnt even find the road, i cant say the 800 is a good device as its pretty useless in my opinion.
    Living MY dream.
  • triquin
    triquin Posts: 30
    A few links to maps here :) with instructions

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_ ... n/Download
  • mallorcajeff
    Yeah will do. Mate of mine has an 800 and its great. I have just sold my 605 with maps but wanted him and cadence, living on Mallorca I never used the maps but nice to know its there. I was waiting for the 510 with hrm but wiggle last night then said April or end march. Having ridden twice this weekend without a GPS or pooter of any kind I had to go for something else. Went for the 800 as to be honest the new features on the 510 I would not use as I have an iPhone but would never use any of the link up thing and sounds sad I have no mates in Mallorca so it's pretty useless in the respect. And no maps. So I looked at the 800 went off wiggle and got the 800 with hrm, cadence and no maps for 302£ less 50 discount offer less 8 through quid co som delivered to Spain it was £240 can't grumble at that I don't think. Just need a card and some free maps now. and a week to wait before its here. Shame as I'm going to Palma this Sunday to watch wiggle and froome race in the trofeo Palma and last year I rode back on cadels wheel so this year would be good to ride back on a team wheel and measure the stats but won't have it by then. Hey ho. Roll on Sunday forecast looks sunny thank god last year we had snow!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    VTech wrote:
    I have tried to locate my sister address which is 6 miles away and it doesnt even find the road, i cant say the 800 is a good device as its pretty useless in my opinion.
    I don't use the Garmin for navigating to an address. I think, like me, most people on here plot a route that we want to follow using a web site like ridewithgps.com or bikeroutetoaster.com and then upload that route to the Garmin to follow.